Thank you for being here. How's things?
- Things are great! No complaints here.
Good to hear. Okay, here’s some warm-up questions to get the brain juices flowing. This first one is an oldy but a good one: Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses?
- A horse-sized duck is scary. If you’ve ever been up close and personal with these birds, you’ll know they’re very territorial and vicious. I’ll take my chances with the 100 mini horses.
I agree! I mean, ducks are omnivores and could technically eat you in a fight... Speaking of other animals, if you could bring one animal from the world of Avatar into our world to use as transportation instead of other means, which animal would you choose?
- I have to go with a dragon here. I feel like this is pretty self-explanatory.
Yeah, I can see why. But imagine landing that thing every time you went to work! Anyway, last warm-up question: You’re going to fight Darth Vader and the Emperor. Which two Avatar characters would you take with you to help?
- Amon and Katara because they’re the two best bloodbenders, and that’s the only chance to possibly take down a duo of force users of that caliber.
I would have probably picked something similar. Though I do wonder if their bloodbending would be impaired since Darth Vader is more 'machine' than human. So, you've been around on the wiki for quite some time, but some of our newer users may not have met you before. How did you come across the Avatar Wiki, and the Avatar franchise in general?
- I’ve loved Avatar since I was young and it was airing on Nick. It has always been my favorite show. The story was so touching and compelling and unique so I was enraptured. Once the show ended I wanted to learn more and heard that there would be a sequel. So I stumbled into the Avatar wiki while learning about Korra and found the community to be very lit
What fanons have you worked on here on the wiki? And what got you into fanon writing in the first place?
- Elements of Life and Nirvana. I’ve always been a writer since I was a kid.
- I love stories, so I just decided to take a crack at fanon as a way to experiment and develop my style. It’s very cool how collaborative fanon can be and especially on the wiki other authors are very supportive.
What inspired you to write the main series you’ve worked on?
- I just have always loved writing. My dream is to complete a book one day. Not much too it other than that. I want to tell a beautiful story.
Ooh a book sounds pretty epic! Have you thought about what genre or story you'd like to tell? Or is it a secret?
- No secret. I usually just write what I know, so it would likely be a memoir or something very close to it. I’m an introspective writer, and I like to focus on emotions and philosophical concepts.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! How do you find writing fanon compared to writing other pieces or in other fields? And are there any skills you've gained from writing fanon that have been useful in other areas?
- I feel most at home writing non-fanon. In a way, being able to write outside the rules of someone else’s universe is most appealing to me. Having the freedom to take an essay any which-way is exhilarating. And, funny story, after experiencing countless failures applying to jobs I ultimately got my first internship as a content writer because I listed award-winning fanfiction writer on my resume ;) Since then I have gone on to publish various pieces on technology trends and digital health and business. Here’s an example if you’re curious. I love what I do.
Oh nice! And y'know, in this current job climate do whatever it takes to make your resume or CV glow :P. In fact, I think you're the second person I know who added their fanon portal experience into their CV and managed to get a job. Maybe I should try it too... (Ahem) What are some of the biggest hurdles in writing fanon, or writing in general, and how do you motivate yourself to overcome them?
- For me, the hardest part is dealing with creativity cycles. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking about what I'm going to write instead of actually starting. Writers block is definitely an issue, but when I remind myself to "just go for it" it's all good.
Conversely, what are some of the biggest joys in writing fanon or writing in general?
- I love when I’m able to read my writing back and feel it’s perfect, that it captures your heart. For writing in general, that’s what I love - feeling like the world melts away when you read something. And working to make that happen through writing diligently is what I love.
What are some of the biggest changes you've witnessed on the Avatar Wiki since your time here?
- I'll just change the question a little: How the AW has a very dynamic community. When I started out, I was just looking for information more about the show that I love, but what changed for me is getting to know other fans and becoming a part of the community. At some point I felt like an outsider who didn't know all the customs in a fandom - but I became part of it in my own way. One thing I remember is that I created contest for writing which I thought had been done before but made me feel like I was contributing something that was the biggest change that I started. Maybe I was the first one to start that -
No, that was ME. You were just the copier, but you did set a lot of trends. Like the Anonymous Valentines!
- Yeah, definitely! I feel like I got to see the full maturity of becoming a part of the community and being in different roles; like a natural progression. Engagement in the community always ebbs and flows with the content of Avatar.
And will you be returning with the start of the new Netflix series?
- I definitely will be going on the wiki to look up information about it! (Laughs) I ran into an issue getting my login info back, though.
Alright, well, I'm going to be bringing out my trusty lamp here to interrogate you, since you've been absent for quite some time. As a security measure, I'm going to have to ask: Do you have any secret plans to revive competing newsletters that may be a conflict of interest to The Ba Sing Se Times?
- My response is: Probablyyy not.
- Probably not.
How "probable," exactly?
The entire staff is watching you right now!
That is true, actually... (Strokes beard)
You speak in absolutes!!! Can you absolutely guarantee that you will not disrupt the delicate balance that we've worked so hard to achieve?
- I can't. (Laughs pleasantly)
That sounds mighty suspicious to me.
Well, we tried to get the truth out of Ty, but I guess -
YOU DID NOT. I thought I trained you better than this, Bomo!
I would've used my special lantern to brainwash him but it got lost in the mail because of the coronavirus.
- Sooo, it sounds like the BSST's a little afraid of competition.
The problem is, YOU have too much insider information on how these things work! You've worked directly with 2 out of the 3 staff members here, not to mention you have shady connections to the Kennedy assassination; don't think I've forgotten.
All fair points.
I'll also point out that this guy has trolled me WAY too many times, so I always need to be prepared. We'll just leave it at that for now.
Heheh, okay then. Next question: What kind of skills have you gained from the Avatar Wiki that you've used in other areas of life?
- A lot, honestly. The ability to connect with different types of people from different backgrounds all over the world is one thing that you can get from the wiki. A lot of users with international experiences have exposed me to different ways to look at the world and how things in the world work because having different perspectives has been super eye-opening. Even things like getting up at different times and dealing with different politics.
What were some of your favorite moments from LoK or ATLA? Do you have a favorite battle?
- I really like Wan's backstory in Korra. I know it gets a lot of heat, but I like the way they did the animations, Harmonic Convergence, and how they showed the first Avatar spirit being born in a person. The scene when he took down Vaatu was SO SICK. And also the scene where Zaheer breaks out of prison doesn't get enough love. My favorite battle is honestly Zuko vs. Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Oh yeah, that's a good one.
Yeah, that was legit.
- I also really liked the exploration of the chakras in Book 2 from a spiritual standpoint. It's unlike any other show. Like, when Aang explored all the chakras and when it got to the last one - ugh, that was SO GOOD. And seeing that art was amazing. Just everything in the first series in general.
Wow, you remember a lot about the episodes! So many moments when you were talking just now, I thought, "Ooh, I like that one too!"
- Yeah, I remember everything! I used to do this thing once a year where me and my friends would just watch the entire series straight through, episode by episode, all night and not sleep.
I did that once too - isn't that like 18 hours, at least? And just NOT SLEEPING at all.
(Sarcastically laughs) OHHH, no sleep, boohoo how extreme! Anyway, Ty, you just need to find your login information and come back to the wiki already.
- Yup... I feel like Minnichi's giving me a ton of heat for no reason. For no reason! What have I done to you?
Ugh! There is just SO much context, don't even -
- I'm hurt.
Oh, really? Then what's with that smile on your face? Such a "hurt," smug, annoying smile!
- It's sadness. It's more like a desperate smile; I'm disappointed in you.
...I need to throw a vase at your face.
- Really, though. You're just giving me so much heat for no reason. What did I ever do to you? It's an honest question.
Well, let's see! You quit The White Lotus Sentinel without warning, right?! I still remember how it just came out of nowhere!
You were kind of a trendsetter, actually. Because right after you quit, the rest of us also resigned.
You basically knocked over the first domino that led to the downfall of the WLS!!!
- That's fair. I buy that.
So yeah, this is an angry Editor speaking!
Anyway, uh - Ty, what Avatar would you like to see a new series about? Which would also include any future Avatars that we haven't seen already.
- I just don't know enough about the past Avatars to really want to see more about them as a series. Wan already gave a pretty good background to the first Avatar 10,000 years ago. Anything I would've wanted to see is kind of already in Korra, but it could have been better I think. I'm not really sure I'm interested in seeing who's after Korra.
I'd like to see what's AFTER 'after Korra.'
- I think if I want to see anything, it'd be wayyy afterwards when they've already invented space travel.
I have one more question, but it's a bit different.
At the risk of my own peril, I'm going to allow you a chance to ask me any question. This could end badly.
- Hm... If you had to pick someone from your Ba Sing Se Times staff to remove, which member would you choose and why?
OH! (Crosses arms)
OH, do tell. (Crosses arms)
- Boom! Shouldn't have asked that question.
Aw, man... I thought this was going to be something funny or embarrassing!
I had a bad feeling the moment you let him ask anything at all, but now you must answer. This is of great concern to me.
*A long, heavy moment of silence ensues*Well. As Editor, I'll allow one level down from the severity of the question. Uh, is there a Version 2, by any chance, that you could ask? So that the consequences would be a littleeee less severe should he answer incorrectly.
- Who would win in a fight: Me or Minn?
Ooooh! (Starts eating vegetable samosas)
- I don't mean an actual fight, but more like a writing battle.
You mean like a character rap battle? 
- Yeah, sort of. But more like, if you've watched Fullmetal Alchemist, think of writing like performing transmutations.
You must tell us NOW, Bomo! Tell him the obvious winner.
- Honestly, I think you'd beat me for sure.
Do you mean that? :)
- (Shrugs) I just said it so it'd get to your head.
...Okay, NOW - that's just not okay at all. This is a question for HIM! (Points at Bomochu)
What are we asking about again? (Continues eating samosas)
Man, why do I have to be put in this situation? I mean, if it's about the first question, then the obvious answer would be myself.
No! That's too easy.
- So easy.
You have one of two choices: Figure out who to boot from The Ba Sing Se Times between me and ARG, or state who would obviously win in a writing battle between me and Ty!
(Continues eating samosas)
- Here's a question: If you could redo it, would you ask me that question?
And now you're not allowed to walk away from it. Both of these things are of great concern to me!
(Sighs) I'd say it would be close...but I feel like Minn would just have the upper hand in the battle. It'd be an epic fight, like Azula vs. Zuko level.
- I think so, too. But I'd definitely get the last word in.
Ugh. Fine, I'll give you that.
- I would die on my own terms, and it would just be bad for her. (Laughs pleasantly)
So basically, she'll kill you, but your last words would haunt Minn for life?
YES. (Scowls) I don't like this, but I can't even disagree. Which is why I hate you so much sometimes.
- Yeah, and I would also just let you kill me but not let you know that you did until the very end.
...I'll be SO PISSED. Whatever! Anyway, Bomo, you actually handled that pretty well.
You've been trained well, my minion, keeping a level head despite all the variations of a very difficult question. You're a worthy successor of Ty and you don't have a bad attitude like him, so I like you.
- Good. That's good. (Smiles amiably)
...Well, I suppose that concludes the interview! I'm still not quite sure what happened. Nonetheless, thank you to Typhoonmaster for being here, and to my BSST colleagues for helping with the interview.
If you'd like to take part in the crazy randomness of an author interview, then check out the Fanon Research and Review Squad and apply!