FANDOM


  • Netflix officially announced it: there is a reimagining on its way of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Proof is here and here, in case some of you thought I would be cruel enough to get your hopes up like that.

    But yeah, apparently this is really happening. Wow. I did not expect that. And I don't really know what to make of that, so tell me: what are your thoughts?

    Avatar Reboot
      Loading editor
    • I'm going to be really honest with you, I clicked the link expecting to be rick-rolled lol

      But omg that's amazing but also slightly terrifying

        Loading editor
    • I'm actually really excited about this… like I was sitting in class and my friends looked at me like why are you grinning so much what happened?

      I have faith in Bryke. Really, if there was someone not-Bryke handling this I'd be feeling skeptical. But between Bryke being able to realize their vision and the fact that Netflix is producing it [see: A Series of Unfortunate Events], I'm really really really excited.

      Definitely made my day.

        Loading editor
    • Netflix had successfully rebooted A Series of Unfortunate Events as a TV series back in 2017.

      220px-A_Series_Of_Unfortunate_Events_poster.jpg

      That live-action Nick movie also failed to get sequels greenlit. Will the lightning strike twice with The Last Airbender? Eusa_think.gif

        Loading editor
    • @Hasdi: One can hope. Bryke will be attached somehow, hopefully more than just collecting the royalties cheque, so that's certainly good.

        Loading editor
    • It seems Netflix wants to do things right with their reboots… they brought Daniel Handler on to write ASOUE. And I think it's amazing. It could fail, but I think the chances of it succeeding are way higher than that film ever had.

        Loading editor
    • TechFilmer wrote:
      I'm actually really excited about this… like I was sitting in class and my friends looked at me like why are you grinning so much what happened?

      I have faith in Bryke. Really, if there was someone not-Bryke handling this I'd be feeling skeptical. But between Bryke being able to realize their vision and the fact that Netflix is producing it [see: A Series of Unfortunate Events], I'm really really really excited.

      Definitely made my day.

      YES!!

      This news being released around an hour ago and the Captain Marvel Trailer at the same time…The only thing I'm scared of is how is Karma going to make me pay.

        Loading editor
    • I am not really happy about this and very skeptical.

      Here's what I wrote about this elsewhere:

      I absolutely agree. If they're going to do something like this, I'd rather have it done with a whole new story instead of taking something we already know. Also, I can't help but be doubtful, especially because of the timing. First, the release of the Blu-Ray, then the announcement of the Kyoshi books and now a live action - remake. All in a span of a few WEEKS.

      I'd rather they get things right with the (release schedule of the) comics because we've just got another delay with Team Avatar Tales and we still don't know about the future of the Avatar comics in general. What about the next TLoK - trilogy? We only know from Koh that there will be one but nothing more.

      I am disappointed because this is not necessary. No one asked for it. I didn't, at least. But I will probably watch it anyway, but I am really skeptical about this.


      Even now I've seen several people express their discontent. I don't know what to make of this, but this feels more like a money grab to me. I will watch it, though.

        Loading editor
    • You know I kept imagining to myself "what would the live action movie had been like, and how good could it have been, IF (XYZ etc. etc."

      Now it looks like all that speculation will have a definite answer! Ha ha. Looking forward to it, but I'll keep my expectations low for now. Unless the budget is fairly large, I'm just not sure how they can handle all of the world of Avatar in a convincing manner (unless they have an amazing filmmaker who knows how to do stuff without low budget CG, that is).

        Loading editor
    • i feel like "if xyz" = "if bryke had more of a say and had actually been listened to"

        Loading editor
    • I'm not familiar with ASOAE, but from what I saw in Wikipedia, the series is doing pretty good.

      Now, the concerns are around if we're going to see the same as the animated series. I wouldn't really mind seeing them again IF they showed THAT AND new things, or maybe fix any of the "mistakes" AtLA had, or getting more depth in characters like Jet or Suki.

      However this is just my opinion and you're free to disagree.

      I also want to say, we shouldn't really judge a series already after an announcement, and no trailers.

        Loading editor
    • I dunno, that attitude is precisely what brought down the Beauty and the Beast remake last year. Trying to aquiesce to every point of criticism internet pedants had like 'why is Belle's mom never mentioned' or 'why does it take wildly different lengths of time to travel between the village and the castle' which are details that do not matter in the original, while they are a huge drag on the remake. Similarly, I feel like that can happen with the ATLA remake, since it is basically a live-action remake of something that is in practical terms about as good as it can be. So while I'd imagine they would cut stuff out like The Great Divide, because the pushback they got on that was enough to warrant some piss-taking in The Ember Island Players, there isn't that much to fix, and there is a risk of trying to overdo it.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarAang7 wrote: I dunno, that attitude is precisely what brought down the Beauty and the Beast remake last year. Trying to aquiesce to every point of criticism internet pedants had like 'why is Belle's mom never mentioned' or 'why does it take wildly different lengths of time to travel between the village and the castle' which are details that do not matter in the original, while they are a huge drag on the remake. Similarly, I feel like that can happen with the ATLA remake, since it is basically a live-action remake of something that is in practical terms about as good as it can be. So while I'd imagine they would cut stuff out like The Great Divide, because the pushback they got on that was enough to warrant some piss-taking in The Ember Island Players, there isn't that much to fix, and there is a risk of trying to overdo it.

      Good points. It would be better if they focused on distilling the truly great moments of AtlA and putting the attention on those important pieces/what made the show work to begin with so that side-elements don't get in the way of the storytelling. Because AtlA is, perhaps above all else, great storytelling (which the LA movie failed to capitilize on by making the wrong changes in the wrong places).

      I can foresee some re-writing of the first season to include more relevant foreshadowing though (such as maybe hints dropped about Katara/Sokka's mom earlier, or the war being seen more visibly as opposed to just being mentioned/off-screen until later on in the show).

        Loading editor
    • Is it true that Netflix doesnt have a Standard and Practices board for their shows? I wonder if they’ll increase the darkness just a little bit... also they’re calling this a “retelling” so who knows what they may change

        Loading editor
    • Korra2000 wrote: I am not really happy about this and very skeptical.

      Here's what I wrote about this elsewhere:

      I absolutely agree. If they're going to do something like this, I'd rather have it done with a whole new story instead of taking something we already know. Also, I can't help but be doubtful, especially because of the timing. First, the release of the Blu-Ray, then the announcement of the Kyoshi books and now a live action - remake. All in a span of a few WEEKS.

      I'd rather they get things right with the (release schedule of the) comics because we've just got another delay with Team Avatar Tales and we still don't know about the future of the Avatar comics in general. What about the next TLoK - trilogy? We only know from Koh that there will be one but nothing more.

      I am disappointed because this is not necessary. No one asked for it. I didn't, at least. But I will probably watch it anyway, but I am really skeptical about this.


      Even now I've seen several people express their discontent. I don't know what to make of this, but this feels more like a money grab to me. I will watch it, though.

      Hm, not sure I agree. Most of the comics and novels aren't being written by Bryke, only suprvised, and we still got comics during the Korra era, heck that's when The Promise was announced. I still have concerns for the series and don't think it will turn out well unless they have, in addition to Bryke, a solid writing team.

        Loading editor
    • OMG!!! I CAN'T WAIT. I hope it will be better then that other lame live-action thing. lol

        Loading editor
    • We meet again my old nemesis.

        Loading editor
    • I thought of ONE thing that never made it to the actual series: Aang's parents.

      Maybe it's unneeded, but in my hhumble opinion, I would have loved to see them.

        Loading editor
    • Personally I would prefer we get another animated TV show set after the events of  Korra than another live action attempt that will (more likely than not) go terribly wrong.

      At least Netflix likely wont be beholden to the chinese market like the film was.

      At the very least Netflix if nothing else, at least TRY to cast some ethnic actors as Sokka and Katara.

        Loading editor
    • Also, if this is succesful, think about a Korra adaptation (hopefully better than the series, which I enjoy despite it's flaws).

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote: Personally I would prefer we get another animated TV show set after the events of  Korra than another live action attempt that will (more likely than not) go terribly wrong.

      At least Netflix likely wont be beholden to the chinese market like the film was.

      At the very least Netflix if nothing else, at least TRY to cast some ethnic actors as Sokka and Katara.

      Bryke has stated they won't whitewash the cast, which likely means we'll be getting actors based on the races they were intended to represent.

        Loading editor
    • Source?

        Loading editor
    • Bryan's official statement, as per here, which reads:

      “We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

      It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

        Loading editor
    • Will the characters be allowed to bleed actual blood? Will they show the full extent of the fire nations brutality that the cartoon could only allude to? What about TV budget CGI? Game of thrones had to wait until season 5 for an honest to god full sized dragon attack.

        Loading editor
    • with Game of Thrones ending soon all the streaming services are scrambling to have the next big live-action adaptation of a beloved fantasy series: Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series and now Netflix’s Avatar: The Last Airbender

      I think this show might to appeal to the older audience that grew up with it so they’ll keep the heart of the show true to to the animated series but this time they wont hold back on the gritty reality of war (named casualties in Day of the Black Sun... people getting burned)

        Loading editor
    • The horrible things that were inferred to happen to Hama in the FN Prison camp. (brrrr)

        Loading editor
    • Bryke please confirm that Lo and Li were Azulon’s concubines

        Loading editor
    • Appa’s gonna get the Falkor treatment from The NeverEnding Story

        Loading editor
    • Maybe we’ll get a CGI Koizilla guys!!!

        Loading editor
    • I hope the bending in the show is good and awesome.

        Loading editor
    • I've got an idea. Hear me out.

      PSY makes a cameo as the Cabbage Merchant.

        Loading editor
    • Hopefully the show coming out means some of the regulars who used to be all over the place here back in the day make a comeback.

        Loading editor
    • Personally I would prefer we get another animated TV show set after the events of Korra

      This is me. It's not so much that I think it'll necessarily be bad, it could really go either way, I'm just not really all that gun ho about a reboot of a series that (A) isn't that old & (B) was already getting a fair amount of expansion. And maybe I just want to know when or if they'll be covering the next generation.

      So, what happens if it goes well? Will it also reproduce the comic stories? Go into Legend of Korra? Even further beyond? Back in time, like everyone but me seems to want?

        Loading editor
    • Even if Shyamalan hadn't taken to series and taken a dump on it, there still shouldn't be a re-imagining of the original series, not even if it's netflix making it. Don't go from an animated TV series to a live action series, if it's just gonna be Aang, Katara and Sokka again, we already have a perfect show with these guys, don't just rehash it, with the only difference being it's live action. The only plus i give Shyamalan is he made it a movie, a different medium.

      If Netflix is gonna make a live action show, don't set it around the same events and characters, TLA or LOK: make a COMPLETELY different series, with a new storyline, and a new avatar. Have the gimmick be there's twin Avatars, or an avatar that's the villain; don't have the gimmick be it's in live action.

      We don't need the original storyline and characters to create some cheap fan-recognition. Bending, the avatar, the spirit world, the four nations, these are reconisable enough. Netflix would be drawing in the worst kind of audience if they did ^ THIS to grow the fanbase, they don't need to do this, the original series would be enough.

        Loading editor
    • Philanahembree wrote:

      If Netflix is gonna make a live action show, don't set it around the same events and characters, TLA or LOK: make a COMPLETELY different series, with a new storyline, and a new avatar. Have the gimmick be there's twin Avatars, or an avatar that's the villain; don't have the gimmick be it's in live action.


      Same. I wanted a sequel to Korra set in a 1960's inspired setting with the earth kingdom avatar following up the 1930's-40's setting of Korra.

        Loading editor
    • Hopefully, Korra would still be alive in 20 years. But I don't think they should use fan fiction gimmicks. Either way, a new series would also have the advantage that it could be tailored to the live action medium, rather than trying to force said medium to fit an existing series. And as someone on Discord said, even if it's good, it's only going to be about as good as it was a decade ago.

        Loading editor
    • Well that Mercury poisoning definitely shaved at least 20 years off her lifespan. But if you wanted her to live to a ripe old age you could hand-wave it away as the presence of spirits and gods in the world now stagnating technological development.

      Or just not mention it at all.

      C'mon man. I want to see the ATLA World Beatles talk about the psychedelic impact of Cactus Juice.

        Loading editor
    • Hey, I'm all for an Atompunk Avatar, I just don't think we need to change Avatars every time. Such a series could use an adult Korra, or have the Avatar play a role more like Tenzin does.

        Loading editor
    • I'm tentatively hopeful that it'll do well. Its episodic format will lend itself well to a faithful adaptation. I'm sure they'll still condense the Books, assuming they actually adapt all three, but there is plenty of filler that they can do away with without handicapping the plot.

        Loading editor
    • "NOOOOOO!!!!! NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" - Michael Scott, from The Office.

      Seriously, I love this series to death and I would hate to see this series getting another bad live-action project. Even though it's nice to see the original creators are back on board to oversee the project, but I doubt it wouldn't be any better than M Night's version. Plus, even if they wanted to do another live-action why waste their time re-telling Aang's story? We know Aang's story? Why not tell a brand new story about a Earthbender Avatar after Korra?

        Loading editor
    • I'm surprised that this is real, but I hope it's good.

        Loading editor
    • I won't be able to watch this, because even though I am not under-age anymore, I am afraid of paying for using a website and idk if it works outside of the US, so sucks to be me.

        Loading editor
    • I just heard about this today.  Reserving judgment for now.  More interested in the Kyoshi novel, really.

      But that said: I'm entirely here for the final word on whether or not Lo and Li really were Azulon's concubines (they totally were).

        Loading editor
    • Hunprincess wrote: I won't be able to watch this, because even though I am not under-age anymore, I am afraid of paying for using a website and idk if it works outside of the US, so sucks to be me.

      You can get a month's free trial. Probably best to save it until you can watch the whole thing in one go. Just have to cancel the subscription before they charge you. Though I do think you have to supply a payment method ahead of time. Or you can try to find a stream/download, if you feel like trying to outwit the computer hackers.

      I just heard about this today. Reserving judgment for now. More interested in the Kyoshi novel, really.

      Also me. I'm more interested in the side stories & expansions than starting from scratch.

        Loading editor
    • I'm excited but worried. I'm excited because this is a show I fall in love with again and again. However I'm also worried, bending is pretty hard to portray and some creatures might be a little wonky looking. Oh well, as long as the actors look as they're supposed to look and we don't have characters like Ung or So-ka. Though I do hope that at least So-ka's actor makes a cameo, no offence to the other actors but if I remember correctly he was one of the few people that looked and sounded like he wanted to be there and didn't look terrified and like they would burst into tears at any moment.

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote:
      Philanahembree wrote:
       

      If Netflix is gonna make a live action show, don't set it around the same events and characters, TLA or LOK: make a COMPLETELY different series, with a new storyline, and a new avatar. Have the gimmick be there's twin Avatars, or an avatar that's the villain; don't have the gimmick be it's in live action.


      Same. I wanted a sequel to Korra set in a 1960's inspired setting with the earth kingdom avatar following up the 1930's-40's setting of Korra.

      Three words for you (and everyone else interested) to look up:

      Legend of Genji

        Loading editor
    • I think I should say this once, and just in case the message is not clear:

      We shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, specially when that cover isn't even released yet.

      I'll give it a chance. I'll make a shared account on Netflix (with four friends) and check the first episodes. I don't think it's going to be a letdown, and I'm okay with a retelling, as long as they DO ADD unseen/unexplored things.

        Loading editor
    • I'll be ok with it if it's just a retelling with added bonuses. Nickelodeon was pretty fair to the show but since the audience could be pretty young there were some limits like they couldn't go into detail on brainwashing or show dead bodies besides skeletons. Now they can be clear on what happened to Jet. Really the main concern is how environments and the different animals will look, which if they do it like with Trico in The Last Guardian it should be fine, and Toph. They'll probably go for accuracy with Toph and have the actor be blind which can work pretty well but I don't know of any blind, 10-12 year old, female Asian actors so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

        Loading editor
    • Steven Bomb 17 wrote:
      Nickelodeon was pretty fair to the show but since the audience could be pretty young there were some limits like they couldn't go into detail on brainwashing or show dead bodies besides skeletons.

      OH YES, I ghope it's more PG-13 than GA.

        Loading editor
    • Let's hope they do a better job than Shyamalan's The Last Airbender; which wasn't all that bad, but lacked the sustenance of the original series, what really made it great, if that makes sense. At least the original people who worked on Avatar are in on it this time, so maybe Netflix will surprise us.

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote: Same. I wanted a sequel to Korra set in a 1960's inspired setting with the earth kingdom avatar following up the 1930's-40's setting of Korra.

      Bouncing off the 1960’s Avatar World, a space race to get some moon rocks/meteorite. Free Love with the spirits with many people voluntarily accepting them in their bodies briefly and becoming enlightened/mutated. Maybe a Red Lotus/Manson Family hybrid running around...

        Loading editor
    • Who do you guys hope plays the main cast?

        Loading editor
    • Steven Bomb 17 wrote:
      Who do you guys hope plays the main cast?

      They announced that the cast would be played by "culturally appropriate" actors, so they'll likely do a world-wide search for such people. We may even see some new faces.

        Loading editor
    • SkyGuy wrote:
      Steven Bomb 17 wrote:
      Who do you guys hope plays the main cast?
      They announced that the cast would be played by "culturally appropriate" actors, so they'll likely do a world-wide search for such people. We may even see some new faces.

      I hope so, the only child actors I know of are the ones on Disney and Nickelodeon with a few exeptions.

        Loading editor
    • SkyGuy wrote:
      they'll likely do a world-wide search for such people.

      With a budget similar to Netflix's ASOUE? Icon_lolno.gif I don't think so.

      Note they said "culturally appropriate" not "culturally authentic". This gives them a bit of wiggle room to cast state-side actors, preferably near Los Angeles area.

      If I may fancast, I'd like to pimp my boy Ryan Potter to play Zuko. He is way too talented and good-looking to just play Beast Boy in the upcoming live-action Titans TV series. Icon_mrgreen.gif

        Loading editor
    • I'm honestly kinda glad we're not going to Legend of Korra yet. I didn't hate it but being in one place all the time in season 1 was boring and the other books were each a mixed bag for me personally. Maybe in the future.

      There is one other problem though. Airbending can be hard to portray in live action, tornadoes wouldn't be hard but something like a gust of wind might be complicated to portray

        Loading editor
    • Steven Bomb 17 wrote: There is one other problem though. Airbending can be hard to portray in live action, tornadoes wouldn't be hard but something like a gust of wind might be complicated to portray

      Water and fire are actually the most difficult to animate with CGI because of rendering. They are the most difficult to make look convincing/realistic when you're bending them into various shapes. Air you can literally just... turn on a fan, we don't need to "see" it really, and earth is already there.

        Loading editor
    • ShonenChicoBoy wrote:

      Steven Bomb 17 wrote: There is one other problem though. Airbending can be hard to portray in live action, tornadoes wouldn't be hard but something like a gust of wind might be complicated to portray

      Water and fire are actually the most difficult to animate with CGI because of rendering. They are the most difficult to make look convincing/realistic when you're bending them into various shapes. Air you can literally just... turn on a fan, we don't need to "see" it really, and earth is already there.

      Fair enough

        Loading editor
    • If nothing else. This series coming out means more of the old guys who used to be here all the time will come back. It'll be like a big homecoming.

        Loading editor
    • Hopefully when this series comes out we can take the eyesore that is the reminder the first movie came out off the front page.

        Loading editor
    • Steven Bomb 17 wrote: I'm honestly kinda glad we're not going to Legend of Korra yet. I didn't hate it but being in one place all the time in season 1 was boring and the other books were each a mixed bag for me personally. Maybe in the future.

      There is one other problem though. Airbending can be hard to portray in live action, tornadoes wouldn't be hard but something like a gust of wind might be complicated to portray

      If they're rebooting, they could change that anyway.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Steven Bomb 17 wrote: I'm honestly kinda glad we're not going to Legend of Korra yet. I didn't hate it but being in one place all the time in season 1 was boring and the other books were each a mixed bag for me personally. Maybe in the future.

      There is one other problem though. Airbending can be hard to portray in live action, tornadoes wouldn't be hard but something like a gust of wind might be complicated to portray

      If they're rebooting, they could change that anyway.

      Thank goodness if that's the case

        Loading editor
    • I mean, it's a moot point because they're doing the original series, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't particularly matter what either series did since this 3rd one is a reboot anyway.

        Loading editor
    • Hopefully this one will be better than piece of shit live movie.....

      (Apart from the James Newton musicm that was EPIC!!!)

        Loading editor
    • I'm a little apprehensive. I worry that they will get rid of Kataang's canonicity in this new show.

        Loading editor
    • They'll probably age Aang and Katara up if nothing else. Sokka will be in his 20's Katara will be 15-17, Aang will be 14-15. Similar to how HBO handled Daenyrys creepy Stockholmy relationship with Kal Drogo in GOT.

        Loading editor
    • it would be cool it they Aged up Aang, Katara and the others. instated of keeping them the same age there were in the cartoon.

        Loading editor
    • Whenever new Avatar content gets released, I'm always on the lookout for it, that includes an M.Night sequel regardless of how poorly he directs it.



      That being said, I'd always hoped that there would be a new live action series/movie with a different director to replace The Last Airbender. So I for one am certainly looking forward to watching this!



      Maybe it's because I was younger when the movie came out, but I didn't really care about the whitewashing (beyond Haru looking like a girl but speaking like a guy, if that counts) nor did I care about the acting skills of the cast. I cared more about the 'Asian-ising' of the Avatar universe (Uung, Soh-Kah, Ee Roh), and the poor choice of what elements to include from Book 1 and what not to use (eg Aang learning about Sozin's Comet).



      I think as a whole, Netflix have had mixed reviews with live action movies, with some being more successful than others (eg A Series of Unfortunate Events, Death Note). But regarldless, I'm still gonna be watching this!

        Loading editor
    • i will be honest... i really don't want that to happened.

      i love avatar so much that i can't even explaine and that is why they don't need to make that show.

      i mean, why? avatar is so good. and if they won't change it so why to wast money just for showing that same thing? i think they will change something. and even if they won't change the plot'i really can't see some people act aang, sokka, katara or even toph.

      just hope it wont be bad....

      also'it will be hard to make the bending look good.

      i am really worried about tha last agni-kai of zuko and azula.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not really all that excited about it for a number of reasons. My main reason is because while Avatar: The Last Airbender ran from 2005-'08 it really doesn't feel all that long a go to warrent a remake. At least for me. Sure there are 10 year olds today who never watched it but it's not that dated for young millenials not to appreciate it.

      However if the live-action adaption made each "book" as long as a few episodes (just like how Unfortunate Events made each book into two-part episodes) then it would give us that movie-quality that M. Night Shyamalan failed to give. If each "Book" consist of 6-12 chapters then that be usual Netflix usual number of episodes. Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan I hope he'll have nothing to do with the project.

      I mean, while it's brilliant to see adaptions of the same story, the original Avatar cartoon was just as good as it is so if the live-action will be a faithful adaption then woudln't you be better off watching the original cartoon?

      All in all, I'd rather have an animated series set after Korra or before Roku than retelling a story a modern way.

        Loading editor
    • (Sees the announcement)

      Hmm...delectable tea or deadly poison?

        Loading editor
    • RoshiA99 wrote:
      (Sees the announcement)

      Hmm...delectable tea or deadly poison?

      Could be poisoned tea.

        Loading editor
    • RoshiA99 wrote:
      (Sees the announcement)

      Hmm...delectable tea or deadly poison?

      lol

        Loading editor
    • I agree, I ain't so sure this is a good thing

        Loading editor
    • TRaidenRadio wrote:
      Will the characters be allowed to bleed actual blood? Will they show the full extent of the fire nations brutality that the cartoon could only allude to? What about TV budget CGI? Game of thrones had to wait until season 5 for an honest to god full sized dragon attack.

      To be fair, that first major dragon attack happened in season 5 because the dragons were small for most of the first half of the show. If the story had demanded that for, say, the battle of black water in season 2 I suspect they could have done it with their budget.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      I'm not really all that excited about it for a number of reasons. My main reason is because while Avatar: The Last Airbender ran from 2005-'08 it really doesn't feel all that long a go to warrent a remake. At least for me. Sure there are 10 year olds today who never watched it but it's not that dated for young millenials not to appreciate it.

      However if the live-action adaption made each "book" as long as a few episodes (just like how Unfortunate Events made each book into two-part episodes) then it would give us that movie-quality that M. Night Shyamalan failed to give. If each "Book" consist of 6-12 chapters then that be usual Netflix usual number of episodes. Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan I hope he'll have nothing to do with the project.

      I mean, while it's brilliant to see adaptions of the same story, the original Avatar cartoon was just as good as it is so if the live-action will be a faithful adaption then woudln't you be better off watching the original cartoon?

      All in all, I'd rather have an animated series set after Korra or before Roku than retelling a story a modern way.

      I see what you mean. As for the how the live adaptation will split the books, I have said since the announcement in social media that they need to take their time. By that I mean that while this show only had 3 seasons and the episodes had a run-time of under half an hour, it was so visually intensive, epic in scope, and adventurous in terms of long distances traveled that they would probably be better off making the jump to live action by splitting the Books into at least 2 seasons, especially if they will just have 8–10 episodes per season ala Game of Thrones and other shows from Netflix with a massive and expensive scope like Marco Polo. If the episodes themselves end up being around 45 minutes long then all the better because it will give them time to breath, improve upon the world building and characterization, make the distance traveled seem less irrelevant so they don’t run into trouble like the 7th season of Game of Thrones did when they had to rush their armies all over the continent and ensure there is more screen time for training with the elements.

      Personally, I think the first live action season actually has a perfect spot for a season finale before reaching the adaptation of the 10th animated episode: The episode where Aang goes to the Fire Nation to learn what’s at stake if he doesn’t master the elements before Sozin’s comet and sets the stage for the rest of the series. Then the second season could take its time, probably skip the critically panned and lore useless episode The Great Divide to better focus on the better stories and save some of the budget for the grand finale of Book 1 with the Siege of the Northern Water tribe.

      Book 2 has so many important events and new characters that I could actually see them divide it into three seasons for release and narrative purposes but if they go down that route they might try to film more back to back so that the actors physically age less. In that case, my personal preference would be to divide it into the following story arcs:

      Season 3 would adapt the Book 2 episodes 1–8, ending with the The Chase episode against Azula where Zuku and Iroh team up with Team Avatar for the first time. Add in the cliff hanger of the lightning attack that nearly killed Iroh, especially for those that never watched the animated show and its a good place for the end of the arc.

      Season 4 would adapt the Book 2 episodes 9–13. Might seem like few episodes for a 8–10 episode adaptation but there is a LOT going on those episodes that the live action show could do in a grand scale and would likely need more budget for less screen time. From the Earthbending training at the beginning, to the investigations in the Spirit Library to learn of the eclipse, to getting stranded in the desert after Appa is kidnapped (that alone should realistically take them a few episodes to solve as they wouldn’t be flying for once) to getting through the treacherous Serpent’s path while trying to escape the massive apex predator and finally an epic action sequence to prevent the gargantuan drill from breaching the walls of the last stronghold of the Earth Kingdom for the season finale.

      Season 5 would then finish the remaining Book 2 episodes, ending with the Crossroads of Destiny season finale as the stakes had never been higher with Ba Sing Se falling, Aang being nearly killed in the Avatar State, Zuko betraying them after the viewers were rooting for him a lot more these last few seasons and more.

      As for Book 3, I am kind of torn there as my preference to divide it into 3 seasons as well would start getting in the way of reality, mainly the aging of the younger actors but if they can film it all the way and release them one arc at a time while they improve post production for the subsequent ones, I would end season 6 with Book 3 episode 8, the fan favorite Puppet Master episode.

      Afterwards, we can jump almost immediately into the invasion of the Fire Nation with the allies they gather through the series for a very strong opening act for Season 7. Then we go through the long awaited moment of Zuku joining Team Avatar, meeting the dragons and end it with the Boiling Rock prison break two parter for a satisfying season finale.

      And now, at long last we can go to the final arc for Season 8. After a strong premier where Azula forces them to flee the Western Air Temple it goes on with Katara and Zuko teaming up to hunt down the one that killed Katara's mom and end up finding closure. I am indifferent as to whether not The Ember Island play episode should be adapted but it would make for some good calm-before-the-storm comedy if they do it well. And then, the final showdown we have all been waiting for finally arrives when the original producers adapt the magnificent 4-part series finale.

      So, yeah, I think netflix and the producers would do well to divide the books into multiple seasons so that we get all the highlights and more and reduce inconsistencies that would inevitably arise when making the jump to live action. In reality, I doubt they would actually do 8 seasons for it even if I find it most ideal but I seriously doubt Netflix intends to just burn through the storylines in three years. If they play their cards right, this has the potential of being their greatest show yet and they would know it. But I guess we will see. Thanks for reading.

        Loading editor
    • You do make a good point given how Netflix format it's shows. Each episode of Game of Thrones, Marco Polo and it's popular shows almost feel like movies right down to the quality of effects. (Technically 40 minutes is "feature length", so yeah, each episode would count as a "movie" if they were over 40 minutes long). I imagine if you take "The Boy in the Iceberg", "The Avatar Returns" and "The Southern Air Temple", remove the minimum that have little impact to the story and that put them together would probably be the first episode, given it would cover the discovery and who Aang. Doing the same with "The Warriors of Kyoshi", "The King of Mashu" and "Imprisoned" could cover a 45 minute mark given how these three episodes introduce Earth Nation culture and bending.

      Or better yet, give Kyoshi her own episode. Master Roku pretty much got his own episode in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" that explained his life story, it would be nice of "Avatar Day" episode was pretty much replaced with Kyoshi's life story.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:

      Or better yet, give Kyoshi her own episode. Master Roku pretty much got his own episode in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" that explained his life story, it would be nice of "Avatar Day" episode was pretty much replaced with Kyoshi's life story.

      I agree. Besides, by the time they get around to filming that episode, the upcoming Kyoshi duology of books should be already published so they would have more canon lore to work with by the time they get to that episode than at the time they produced Book 2 episode 5 over 10 years ago.

        Loading editor
    • Nadav Nakash wrote:
      i will be honest... i really don't want that to happened.

      i love avatar so much that i can't even explaine and that is why they don't need to make that show.

      i mean, why? avatar is so good. and if they won't change it so why to wast money just for showing that same thing? i think they will change something. and even if they won't change the plot'i really can't see some people act aang, sokka, katara or even toph.

      just hope it wont be bad....

      also'it will be hard to make the bending look good.

      i am really worried about tha last agni-kai of zuko and azula.

      i also want the fire benders to be able to fire bend normaly, not like in the movie

        Loading editor
    • Nadav Nakash wrote:
      i will be honest... i really don't want that to happened.

      i love avatar so much that i can't even explaine and that is why they don't need to make that show.

      i mean, why? avatar is so good. and if they won't change it so why to wast money just for showing that same thing? i think they will change something. and even if they won't change the plot'i really can't see some people act aang, sokka, katara or even toph.

      just hope it wont be bad....

      also'it will be hard to make the bending look good.

      i am really worried about tha last agni-kai of zuko and azula.


      I see what you mean, as I love both Last Airbender and Legend of Korra so much and the last time this franchise got the live action movie treatment I started to give the director the He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named treatment.

      Having said that, since this was announced I have been analyzing the information we currently have on the project and I am getting more cautiously optimistic. For the time being, I am willing to give this project a chance because of five main reasons:

      1. Netflix is producing it and I have loved pretty much all of their original and joint venture content I have watched.
      2. They know they are going to have to compete with the upcoming Disney Streaming Service that will also remove from their catalog Fox and Disney movies & TV shows so they have every reason to try their hardest to make the remake of this beloved cartoon absolutely amazing.
      3. With the enormous amount of money Netflix has been making, they beat all the odds this past year and managed to spend more money in original content than all other movie studious in the world, including Disney. Can’t remember the exact amount but it was certainly over 11 billion dollars in production values alone so I am confident they WILL spend as much money as needed to ensure this live action adaptation lives up to the hype, at least on the visual aspect.
      4. The original creators are back for the project. I cannot overstate how important that is for this project. One of the reasons the live action movie failed so horrible was that it didn’t respect the source material the fans have grown to love. With them on-board, those concerns pretty much vanish for these guys just get Avatar better than everyone else.
      5. They promised to star a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast, unlike the previous movie. Given the backlash that adaptation got for whitewashing the cast, that’s another critical nightmare averted.

      And a few more reasons but these are the main ones. My opinion may change from here to the premier date but for now, I think there are more good things going for this project than bad ones. It will certainly have a lot to prove but unlike most live action adaptations of cartoons, this one will have a lot more resources and top talent than usual to give it their all.

        Loading editor
    • The thing is with it being on Netflix. You can get away with a lot more adult content that you couldn't get away with on a broadcast TV show.

      The characters can swear. You can show burns and wounds. You can actually SHOW the Air Nomad and Water Tribe genocides instead of just alluding to them. 

      However, it's a question of 'how much is too much'? Where would the more adult content like swearing and violence be appropriate and improve the story in places the original show did not.

        Loading editor
    • The adult content would be appropriate mainly with the brainwashing. As disturbing as it was I didn't really like it because it didn't make sense I mean was the lantern magical? Was the man who was speaking's voice magical? Is brainwashing actually just hypnosis? Do they somehow block the little "veins" between the chakras like with Amon's bloodbending? Is that why waterbending can help? Because literally nothing is done, the person/people are locked in a room, a lantern rotates slowly around them, a creepy guy says a thing a few times and bam the person/people are brainwashed.

        Loading editor
    • It's hypnosis. Waterbending heals the effect on the mind. Don't really get how that's confusing.

        Loading editor
    • Here's what I think the creators need to do. DEVIATE FROM THE ORIGINAL STORY. Keep the setting and characters, and follow the original story up to a point. But when you get to a certain flashpoint that went one way in the original story, go another direction to keep the audience guessing, while still keeping the overall original story of the series. That way they would differentiate from each other without necessarily feeling like they're just repeating themselves with a new coat of paint. That way fans of the original series wouldn't feel like it was invalidating the original.

      Here's a few changes I think could be made that could be interesting and allow the series to stand on it's own from the original as a seperate continuity.

      1) Have Zuko side with Aang and Katara against Azula and the Fire Nation during the Crossroads Of Destiny. I've always wanted to see where the direction that episode would have taken if Zuko had made the right decision earlier.

      2) Have Zuko kill Ozai during the day of black sun when he's vulnerable. See how Azula would react to her Father dying, maybe have the final battle during Sozin's comet be between Aang and her given she's the much more interesting of the two lead villains. Maybe this would lead to Mai and Ty-Lee siding more with Azula during the Boiling rock.

      3) Have a significant supporting character die, none of the main cast. Maybe someone like Suki or Mai or even Ty-lee(though I'd be against that one).

      4) Let Jet live. I'd like to see where his character would have gone if he had lived. Would he have softened his stance on the Fire Nation eventually? Would he have become the Airbender worlds version of Colonel Kurtz? Fighting the war against the FN years after it was over?  

        Loading editor
    • Actually, yeah, a What If scenario is about the only way I see this not being meh at best.

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote:
      Here's what I think the creators need to do. DEVIATE FROM THE ORIGINAL STORY. Keep the setting and characters, and follow the original story up to a point. But when you get to a certain flashpoint that went one way in the original story, go another direction to keep the audience guessing, while still keeping the overall original story of the series. That way they would differentiate from each other without necessarily feeling like they're just repeating themselves with a new coat of paint. That way fans of the original series wouldn't feel like it was invalidating the original.

      Here's a few changes I think could be made that could be interesting and allow the series to stand on it's own from the original as a seperate continuity.

      1) Have Zuko side with Aang and Katara against Azula and the Fire Nation during the Crossroads Of Destiny. I've always wanted to see where the direction that episode would have taken if Zuko had made the right decision earlier.

      2) Have Zuko kill Ozai during the day of black sun when he's vulnerable. See how Azula would react to her Father dying, maybe have the final battle during Sozin's comet be between Aang and her given she's the much more interesting of the two lead villains. Maybe this would lead to Mai and Ty-Lee siding more with Azula during the Boiling rock.

      3) Have a significant supporting character die, none of the main cast. Maybe someone like Suki or Mai or even Ty-lee(though I'd be against that one).

      4) Let Jet live. I'd like to see where his character would have gone if he had lived. Would he have softened his stance on the Fire Nation eventually? Would he have become the Airbender worlds version of Colonel Kurtz? Fighting the war against the FN years after it was over?  


      I agree they should deviate from the original story on certain points and also expand on some of the good stuff. Here are some other ideas on the matter:

      1. A secondary spirit antagonist: This option may seem less valid if they don’t intend to expand the content but if they do, it might make an excellent original side plot. I know Ozai and Sozin's comet will still be the main conflict no matter what{at least, as far as we know}, but what if they upped the ante a bit by saying that Ozai's victory will pave the way for darker, more otherworldy things. I'm talking Koh or some other other malevolent spirit working behind the scenes to make things harder, attacking the Gaang outright and whatever else is needed to make their own plans for the world a reality. And there is precedence in the franchise to have that make sense. After all, the world and by extension the Spirit World went out of balance when Sozin exterminated the Air Nomads and Ozai was going to orchestrate his own genocidal plan for the Earth Kingdom if Aang hadn’t stopped him. Take that, add in the fact that Admiral Zhao probably enraged a large chunk of the Spirit World’s population when he almost destroyed the ancient Moon Spirit for good, and I can see the more ambitious spirits taking a more active role in retaliation.

      2. Korra foreshadowing: Let's say that Vaatu is the reason for the actions of the spirits I mentioned above and maybe, just maybe, Aang is shown a bit of what his successor will have to go through with the help of the Tree of Time and made to believe that things will be smoother if he makes a pre-emptive strike now and not let her worry about it later; only to realize later on that he will still have to leave it in the hands of a future generation because Harmonic Convergency is still 70 years away, and so Aang gets back to the present problems he needs to solve instead of being tricked into straying from his path . This one's probably asking a lot, but who knows?

      3. A more Avatar Kyoshi centric episode full of interesting flashbacks during the Avatar Day re-imagined version, just as we got an Avatar Rooku centric episode in Book 3 of the animated series. Moreover, by the time they get around to filming that episode, the first few books of the upcoming Kyoshi series that will deal with her rise to power should already be published so they would have more canon lore to work with by the time they get to that episode than at the time they produced Book 2 episode 5 over 10 years ago.

        Loading editor
    • I think this will be pretty interesting. I am also really excited to hear the new music.

        Loading editor
    • there will be new music?!?!?!?

      how can they do that?!??!?!?!?!?

      the music is one of the best things in avatar

        Loading editor
    • Maybe they can even extend the show and let us finally see what happened to Zuko's mom and just not read about it.

        Loading editor
    • Nadav Nakash wrote: there will be new music?!?!?!?

      how can they do that?!??!?!?!?!?

      the music is one of the best things in avatar

      The music for the new avatar film will have the same composer as the original (or so I’ve heard), therefore, I think it will be really good.

        Loading editor
    • Steven Bomb 17 wrote: Maybe they can even extend the show and let us finally see what happened to Zuko's mom and just not read about it.

      I would also like to see this, I would also like to see the Gaang when they at their prime.

        Loading editor
    • you seem to ignore the minor details in which the avatar creators offered to help shamylan with the movie but the director insisted on doing it on his own

        Loading editor
    • At least the creatores assured us that there wouldn't be any nepotism this time. Though I do hope the movie actors make cameos, they weren't bad it was just a combination of poor planning, bad editing, bad script, most of the children being inexpierenced and kinda looking scared, and bad CGI

        Loading editor
    • The creators also aren’t offering to help this time, rather actual working on the show. (Don’t quote me, it is just what I’ve read.)

        Loading editor
    • LeahSilverwater wrote:

      Steven Bomb 17 wrote: Maybe they can even extend the show and let us finally see what happened to Zuko's mom and just not read about it.

      I would also like to see this, I would also like to see the Gaang when they at their prime.

      I want to see that too. I also want to see what the Gaang did in their adulthood.

        Loading editor
    • is the Avatar Reboot coming out in 2019 or 2020? also I think they will called the avatar reboot something else since they can't use "Avatar" anymore. do you remember TLOK?

        Loading editor
    • Teddybearlover wrote: is the Avatar Reboot coming out in 2019 or 2020? also I think they will called the avatar reboot something else since they can't use "Avatar" anymore. do you remember TLOK?

      Production is set to begin next year, so at the earliest, I'd expect it late 2019, but it depends on how the pre-production is. They've barely begun casting, so 2020 is much more likely.

      As for the title, that's actually a decent point, but it's worth remembering that the whole reason LoK was changed was because of the James Cameron movie, and sequels for that have been going in and out of pre-production for almost a decade now. Messy, to say the least. And maybe with the combined weight of Nickelodeon and Netflix behind it, they might be able to wrestle naming rights back, since 20th Century Fox is in its own legal mess with the whole Disney aquisition, but how and when that will exactly happen is still in the air.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarAang7 wrote:

      Teddybearlover wrote: is the Avatar Reboot coming out in 2019 or 2020? also I think they will called the avatar reboot something else since they can't use "Avatar" anymore. do you remember TLOK?

      Production is set to begin next year, so at the earliest, I'd expect it late 2019, but it depends on how the pre-production is. They've barely begun casting, so 2020 is much more likely.

      As for the title, that's actually a decent point, but it's worth remembering that the whole reason LoK was changed was because of the James Cameron movie, and sequels for that have been going in and out of pre-production for almost a decade now. Messy, to say the least. And maybe with the combined weight of Nickelodeon and Netflix behind it, they might be able to wrestle naming rights back, since 20th Century Fox is in its own legal mess with the whole Disney aquisition, but how and when that will exactly happen is still in the air.

      they also did the same thing with the TLA movie.

        Loading editor
    • The Boulder and his mannerism was inspired by pro wrestler The Rock.

      I hope in the live-action version of The Blind Bandit Netflix can get Dwayne Johnson to play as The Boulder.

        Loading editor
    • Any updates or news?

        Loading editor
    • They're releasing it in 2020

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      The Boulder and his mannerism was inspired by pro wrestler The Rock.

      I hope in the live-action version of The Blind Bandit Netflix can get Dwayne Johnson to play as The Boulder.

      Yes please

        Loading editor
    • Oh no please tell me this is a joke

      sorry but  having a live action avatar series is terrible. Have they not learned their leason from the underrated movie they did in 2010, come on the avatar is a cartoon series not a live action. I think everyone would love a cartoon series instead of a live action, i know i would.

        Loading editor
    • Junoqueenofjamaa wrote:
      Oh no please tell me this is a joke

      sorry but  having a live action avatar series is terrible. Have they not learned their leason from the underrated movie they did in 2010, come on the avatar is a cartoon series not a live action. I think everyone would love a cartoon series instead of a live action, i know i would.

      They did learn their lesson! As far as I know, M. Night Shyamalan has nothing to do with this series.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah and they're going to be allowed to say Sokka and not So-ka or Ung, or Eiroh.

        Loading editor
    • Has there been a release date set yet?

        Loading editor
    • As far as we know, it's been RUMOURED that it might come in 2020. Again, it's been RUMOURED, they say they're still in the script part.

        Loading editor
    • Anyone worried this show might get stuck in development hell and never see the light of day?

        Loading editor
    • I'm not.

      I mean sure I'd love to see a live-action take on Avatar done right, but theres still nothing wrong or "out-dated" with the original cartoon series.

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote:
      Anyone worried this show might get stuck in development hell and never see the light of day?

      Doesn't look like it since it's going to be very profitable with an engadged and reunited (huge) fanbase.

        Loading editor
    • This is my honest opinion 

      I think this is going to be unsuccessful.

      Reasons well it going to be a redo of the original series, can i say it does not need a redo as it was great and all the characters were well developed. And a live action, serious!!!  There is a lot things that can go wrong, I personally am drawn to a cartoon because it will look a lot better than a live action. My main reasons of doubts is its a redo and some times it gets boring because you kind know whats going happen. 

      I personally would have love to seen another avatar no not an avatar after korra, an avatar before aang that we dont know about, so the creators can do what ever they want with the characters.

      This is my opinion so do not take offense please.

        Loading editor
    • I see a bit of good out if it.

      Let's say it goes as far as "The Legend of Korra". They'll be able to hammer out all the inconsistancies that fan has complained about between seasons.

        Loading editor
    • I think this is going to be unsuccessful.

      I take offense with your opinion.

      I actually think it's going to be sucessful, at least in the beginning. As someone else said, Avatar has a fanbase that is hungry for more content, so they will take anything. But it will be controversial. As you said, this is a redo, and it will get repetitive. And if they change things to surprise the fans? People will complain.

      But it's certainly pointless. Just like all the LA Disney remakes, it will be shit. Why? Because they will never be able to make decent enough effects to reproduce the things the characters do in an animated show. And if it's not going to be better, then it's just a pointless cash grab, and i think people are smart enough to see through this.

        Loading editor
    • SaitamaBro wrote:

      Just like all the LA Disney remakes, it will be shit. Why? Because they will never be able to make decent enough effects to reproduce the things the characters do in an animated show.

      While I haven't seen any of the Disney remakes, I disagree with this part. First because Mike and Bryan are really good in terms of artistry, design, and all that field. If by things characters do in the show you mean the expressions that only cartoons can give, like turning their face red when angry or changing th shape of their eyes into unrealistic forms, that's pretty obvous, and it's not necesarily a bad thing. But if you mean the bending effects, then it's a big disagree. First because we haven't seen any officially released concept art or screen tests whatsoever, but again, Bryke are excelent in animation and art material, as proven in the original show and Legend of Korra. For that I think it's going to look probably even better, as more realistic.

      Take for instance the Marvel Cinematic Universe or most high-budget blockbuster superhero movies. They're all based of comics, and while some of them the CGI looks wonky (Black Panther, Spiderman: Homecoming), sometimes it can look really amazing (Doctor Strange, the Thor trilogy, the Guardians of the Galaxy duology, Aquaman).

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote:
      SaitamaBro wrote:

      Just like all the LA Disney remakes, it will be shit. Why? Because they will never be able to make decent enough effects to reproduce the things the characters do in an animated show.

      While I haven't seen any of the Disney remakes, I disagree with this part. First because Mike and Bryan are really good in terms of artistry, design, and all that field. If by things characters do in the show you mean the expressions that only cartoons can give, like turning their face red when angry or changing th shape of their eyes into unrealistic forms, that's pretty obvous, and it's not necesarily a bad thing.

      But if you mean the bending effects, then it's a big disagree. First because we haven't seen any officially released concept art or screen tests whatsoever, but again, Bryke are excelent in animation and art material, as proven in the original show and Legend of Korra. For that I think it's going to look probably even better, as more realistic.

      Take for instance the Marvel Cinematic Universe or most high-budget blockbuster superhero movies. They're all based of comics, and while some of them the CGI looks wonky (Black Panther, Spiderman: Homecoming), sometimes it can look really amazing (Doctor Strange, the Thor trilogy, the Guardians of the Galaxy duology, Aquaman).

      Small correction, Aquaman is DC, you're right on the other stuff though

        Loading editor
    • I do know that, that's why I said "most high-budget blockbuster superhero movies", refererring to both Marvel (MCU, X-Men, and the Spiderman movies of Raimi/Maguire and Webb/Garfield), and DC (TDK trilogy, Superman tetralogy, DCEU), as well as neither (Hellboy, Brightburn, Robocop, The Mask).

      I should say, I do realize now that Netflix doesn't usually give that much budget to the first seasons of new shows, and it's usually on the third or second season were they start getting more budget, and I compared first seasons of a Netflix show with a high-budget blockbuster. So I will give better examples as to Netflix shows that the CGI looks somewhat good: Stranger Things, The Umbrella Academy, and Black Mirror.

      And considering that "Book Four: Balance", looks really good (except some parts of "Remembrances") despite the HUGE budget cut, I'm sure Bryke will know how to handle a low budget on CGI.

        Loading editor
    • SaitamaBro wrote: But it's certainly pointless. Just like all the LA Disney remakes, it will be shit. Why? Because they will never be able to make decent enough effects to reproduce the things the characters do in an animated show.

      I don't think it's that simple. That stuff, the effects, that's just the fireworks. Far more important than that is whether or not they get the character stuff down. If boil it down all the way to 'who does what and why?' the most important two are the who and the why.

      I do agree with you that the Disney remakes are shit, especially the recent ones, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. The main reason those remakes all suck is because the studio doesn't allow the creators to express their own vision. Hence why all of the recent ones are all shot-by-shot retreads of the original. Disney throws hundreds of millions of dollars at those movies and they generally look great, but the characters are all completely stock. Netflix has a good habit of allowing their creators enough room for working out their vision, so it's all about whether Bryke's vision for the new version holds up.

      One comparison that I feel easily flies under the radar here is with the Star Wars Prequels, mainly The Phantom Menace. Don't get me wrong, while I don't think it's as bad as many people want it to be, it does suck, but it sucks in a very interesting way. The studio gave George Lucas such a long leash to work out his vision and bring his ideas to life, that nobody seemed to tell him that those were stupid ideas. Studio control can work both ways, and I feel that Netflix generally rides the golden middle.

      Oh, and the final nail in the coffin of the 'if the effects suck the show will suck'-argument: The Movie That Shall Not Be Named from 2010 had pretty good effects on a technical level. The fire was on point, the water physics were mostly pretty good, and I actually think the way they did the airbending was pretty creative. Yet it still sucks, because the characters suck, also, they never those pretty cool effects to do anything interesting. Now true, they had a 150 million dollar budget, it's also 9 years old, so you wouldn't need the same budget anymore to achieve the same effects.

        Loading editor
    • I don't know, I just think they would have saved up to make a third series of Avatar, whether it was the continuation of Korra or a prequel to an Avatar before Aang and Korra, that would be all.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarAang7 wrote:

      Oh, and the final nail in the coffin of the 'if the effects suck the show will suck'-argument: The Movie That Shall Not Be Named from 2010 had pretty good effects on a technical level.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7dyZb5g_M

      You were saying?

        Loading editor
    • Anyway we hope that the new live action version of Avatar is better than the failed movie!

        Loading editor
    • Raiden, I think they reffered to the Bending stuff.

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote: Raiden, I think they reffered to the Bending stuff.

      I guess so!

        Loading editor
    • lets just home that they dont screw it up like the movie. also the concept art it amazing it very goregous and i hope that they do justice to such a legendary show. 

        Loading editor
    • Hopefully justice is really done!

        Loading editor
    • https://knightedgemedia.com/2020/01/open-casting-has-begun-for-aang-in-netflixs-avatar-the-last-airbender/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

      Casting Calls for the role of Aang have begun. Fingers crossed we don't get Shymalan 2: Airbender Boogaloo

        Loading editor
    • I agreed

        Loading editor
    • Very well.

        Loading editor
    • I have this script thougth it might be useful for the Netflix version of Avatar: The Last Airbender

        Loading editor
    • Apparently there will be more details about the new series of Avatar.

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote: https://knightedgemedia.com/2020/01/open-casting-has-begun-for-aang-in-netflixs-avatar-the-last-airbender/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

      Casting Calls for the role of Aang have begun. Fingers crossed we don't get Shymalan 2: Airbender Boogaloo

      I think it's way too late for that movie. because it's been 10 years since the first movie.

        Loading editor
    • At least if you saw the first movie when it was released in movie theaters.

        Loading editor
    • The show was pretty perfect, but I hope they expand on certain parts we didn't see. I don't remember Ozai and Iroh interracting, so I would've liked more, on that relationship. Maybe something on Aang's parents, and how they died, would be cool too.

        Loading editor
    • But the links didn't say when it was going to come out and it's been two years! They could at least publish one episode at a time...

        Loading editor
    • Lola987 wrote:
      Maybe something on Aang's parents, and how they died.

      I think we know how they died. Becoming crispy.

      I would like to see their identities for sure

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote:

      I think we know how they died. Becoming crispy.

      I would like to see their identities for sure

      He was raised by Gyatso, before the Fire Nation attacked, so I don't think so.

        Loading editor
    • AJPokeWarrior wrote: But the links didn't say when it was going to come out and it's been two years! They could at least publish one episode at a time...

      Production is veeeeery slow at the moment due to what's going on in the world right now. Bryan Konietzko is giving updates on his Instagram account and things are moving slow, so we need to wait for now.

        Loading editor
    • Hate to say it, but I doubt this is coming in 2020. We would've heard more if it were coming out in the next few months. I'm tentatively predicting 2021.

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote:

      I should say, I do realize now that Netflix doesn't usually give that much budget to the first seasons of new shows,…

      As of now, seeing how well Avatar is doing on Netflix, and with Korra on the way, I guess they'lkl give it the necessary budget.

        Loading editor
    • This is not going to be good.

        Loading editor
    • There's some update about this show and Mike and Bryan left the show, because Netflix didn't promise them giving them full creative freedom they hoped. Sucks man.

        Loading editor
    • F for this adaptiation. On the bright side, you can only go up after Shamadingdong. Fortunately there's a team Bryke specificaly hired.

      Personally, I'm OK with anything they do as long as they:

      1. Don't whitewash (there's a rumor that they will but there's no legitimate source)
      2. Don't butcher names or characters
      3. Don't skip important stuff
      4. Don't fundamentally change anything in the world or lore (like the firebenders in the Movie)
      5. Don't make bending look stupid

      As long as they don't do those things, I'm OK with what they can come up with.

        Loading editor
    • honestly i think all the chars should have the apropiate look including skin tone

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.