FANDOM


  • So their is the Light on your Feet Pro-bending style of Earthbending and the more Triditional kind of Earthbending but hear is what I wonder if their was an Earthbending dule between some one who was fighting Probending style and someone who was fighting Triditional style who would win?

      Loading editor
    • It's kind of the same with boxing. They have the original flat footed style of boxing compared to the on your toes style more common today. The latter gives you more mobility and makes you a harder target, While the original makes you much easier to circle and hit but also gives you a solid platform from which to strike. The same with earthbending. As its been shown in the show however, if the traditional style user is skilled enough they will still have the advantage as was displayed in the duel between Bolin and Ghazan. Bolin opened their rematch with his pro-bending style before switching up at the end. So I really don't think either style has a complete advantage over the other. Rather, it depends on the skill of the individual bender.

        Loading editor
    • I think a big difference between them is the scale of power. With the pro bending style, they are quick attacks with low power, in keeping with the boxing analogy, pro is almost all jabs. Whereas traditional we see much larger feats with heavier hitting crosses, uppercuts, and haymakers. In a duel, both would have their uses and could be viable against each other, but from what we've seen, traditional has a definite advantage in firepower, with only a questionable advantage in speed (watch Toph or Bumi battle in ATLA, they were definitely not slow).

        Loading editor
    • Yes, it seems the pro-bending style is faster but less powerful and only suited to battles with water and fire benders under very strict conditions. Traditional may be slower but enables for more powerful attacks and flexibility. Lava and metal bending can only be performed with traditional style.

        Loading editor
    • Duke of Skibbington wrote: Yes, it seems the pro-bending style is faster but less powerful and only suited to battles with water and fire benders under very strict conditions. Traditional may be slower but enables for more powerful attacks and flexibility. Lava and metal bending can only be performed with traditional style.

      Lava bending doesn't have to be used with the traditional stance. When Bolin fought Ghazan he made use of the pro bending style for the first part of the fight until Ghazan began to dominate, then he decided to switch up.

        Loading editor
    • Swampbender55 wrote:

      Duke of Skibbington wrote: Yes, it seems the pro-bending style is faster but less powerful and only suited to battles with water and fire benders under very strict conditions. Traditional may be slower but enables for more powerful attacks and flexibility. Lava and metal bending can only be performed with traditional style.

      Lava bending doesn't have to be used with the traditional stance. When Bolin fought Ghazan he made use of the pro bending style for the first part of the fight until Ghazan began to dominate, then he decided to switch up.

      Well, come to think of it, Lava uses a more water-like stance.

        Loading editor
    • I've noticed that when he uses it, Bolin uses an open palm style when he launches his attacks.

        Loading editor
    • Swampbender55 wrote:
      I've noticed that when he uses it, Bolin uses an open palm style when he launches his attacks.

      A bit like fire crossed with water.

        Loading editor
    • i think that the pro bending style would lose to the more traditional style. this is because if a pro bender was fighting someone like king bumi i think that they would be moving around alot and suceptible to changes in the ground beneth them while they are airborne or taking a spep like how when toph was fighting the boulder she moverd the part of the ground he was on and threw him off balance. also if you are moving you are not focoused on earthbending completely but rather on evading attacks.

        Loading editor
    • Duke of Skibbington wrote:
      Yes, it seems the pro-bending style is faster but less powerful and only suited to battles with water and fire benders under very strict conditions. Traditional may be slower but enables for more powerful attacks and flexibility. Lava and metal bending can only be performed with traditional style.

      kuvira has a probender like style when she is metalbending.

        Loading editor
    • To me it looks like the earthbenders in Korra are weaker. Earthbending is supposed to be about stances and all. It lost its flare with pro-bending, just so writers would try to make it look cool. It looks sloppy and worse and Korra's air punch is the stupidest attack ever created. That's not at all how airbending works.

        Loading editor
    • I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Even though the traditional looks better, it really depends on the user. The more adapted they are to their particular style, the better they'll be. This is why Toph had to develop her own style. Instead of using regular earthbending, she took on a style that best suited her blindness, which allowed her to become more powerful overall.

        Loading editor
    • I'm just saying on average the earthbenders in Korra move less earth than the first series. Just put two and two together since they change the way it's done.

        Loading editor
    • It really depends on your style or the kind of earth one is bending. Rock is rigid and stubborn, and I think metal is more stubborn but a little more fluid, being bendable (not the Avatar bending, but like a rubber tube bending). Sand is likely the most fluid, as we've seen sandbenders moving more fluently than earthbenders' stomping and kicking. I've also noticed Metalbending is, unlike earthbending, used more often with your arms and hands, like Lin grappling her metal wire, Toph moving the airship's fin thing, Toph punching the door(s) of the airship and jail-in-a-box, etc.

        Loading editor
    • you guys say that traditional earthbending is slow but toph and bumi were not slow. and with sand bending i think that is would be like waterbending not reglar earthbending and metalbending is not like reqular earthbending because metal is not as brittle as earth. and probenders only bend earth disks in the arena but regular earthbenders bend dust sand massive boulders. put it this way: if a probender was fighting a earthbender with a mor traditional style in apro bending arena the probendre would lose because while the probender was shoting disks the traditional earthbender would shot one from behind and do things that would never happen in a probending match so the probender would never expect it.

        Loading editor
    • Okay, here are the problems with that:

      1. Classifying Toph or Bumi as "traditional" is arguable, since Toph uses a completely different style than the other earthbenders & Bumi's stated MO is to flout expectations.

      2. Even if we do classify them as such, they are not the average earthbender. When you compare the pro-benders to the earthbending soldiers of old, they're faster, they have better aim, they can attack from different angles, & Bolin has proven that he can be quite powerful when he stops playing by the rules.

      3. Speaking of, you're assuming that a pro-bender would necessarily have no experience outside of pro-bending. And even then, it's not like they don't know other things are possible. Cheating exists, they know they CAN do things like move the ground under a person's foot or break their discs into chunks to fire them like a shotgun.

        Loading editor
    • Traditional all the way. 

      As for Toph, Bumi and those benders, they're top tier, so they'd definetly fight in very, very different ways from most. they're like Lu Bu, Guan Yu or other famous generals from the Three Kingdoms era, few people were on their league. 

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      Okay, here are the problems with that:

      1. Classifying Toph or Bumi as "traditional" is arguable, since Toph uses a completely different style than the other earthbenders & Bumi's stated MO is to flout expectations.

      2. Even if we do classify them as such, they are not the average earthbender. When you compare the pro-benders to the earthbending soldiers of old, they're faster, they have better aim, they can attack from different angles, & Bolin has proven that he can be quite powerful when he stops playing by the rules.

      3. Speaking of, you're assuming that a pro-bender would necessarily have no experience outside of pro-bending. And even then, it's not like they don't know other things are possible. Cheating exists, they know they CAN do things like move the ground under a person's foot or break their discs into chunks to fire them like a shotgun.

      I think they would still be seen as traditional because of how they apply the foundation of what they know about earthbending. The still apply strong stances as they bend and pro bending changes a lot of that. Toph especially needs to be stanced as her "vision" depends completely on it. That's why she doesn't move around much in a fight. Bumi just has a more complicated explanantion, but he still does the strong stance. And just the same way the pro benders can cheat, the traditional styles can be cheated with as well. The difference is pro benders cheat in a specific way the win a match, but maybe not always win a legit battle going at full strength. I like the traditional, but I think pro bending would be better plus more exciting with airbending.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.