The Search is a graphic novel trilogy set one year after the events of The Promise and preceding those detailed in The Rift. Written by Gene Luen Yang with Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, the trilogy was released in three separate installments by Dark Horse Comics in collaboration with Nickelodeon throughout 2013. The story focuses on Zuko and Azula as they search for their mother, Ursa, with Team Avatar accompanying them to keep the mentally unstable princess in check.
The Search trilogy includes:
For years, fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra have burned with one question--what happened to Fire Lord Zuko's mother? Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar--and the most unlikely ally of all--to help uncover the biggest secret of his life.
A compilation of the three novels, Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Search Library Edition HC, was released on February 5, 2014. In contrast to The Promise Library Edition, this re-release version of the trilogy features page-by-page sidebar commentary not only by Gene Yang and the Gurihiru team, but also by series co-creator Mike DiMartino. Notable trivia from The Search Library Edition that pertains in particular to the production of each respective novel can be found at:
- DiMartino and Konietzko originally pitched Ursa's fate as the plot for a television movie of the same title, but Nickelodeon rejected the idea, which led to the comic trilogy instead.
- Toph does not make an appearance in The Search, though her name is mentioned multiple times.
- Dante Basco posted readthroughs of several scenes from the trilogy in Zuko's voice.
- A paperback omnibus edition of The Search was released on October 27, 2020.
- According to the Omnibus edition, Ozai was thirty and Ursa was twenty-one when they got married, the same year Azulon was eighty-five, which would place the date of the wedding at 85 AG. However, this is a mistake, as Zuko was born in 83 AG.