The Promise is a graphic novel trilogy that continues the Avatar: The Last Airbender storyline. Written by Gene Luen Yang with Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, the trilogy was released by Dark Horse Comics in collaboration with Nickelodeon in three separate installments throughout 2012. Mainly set one year after the conclusion of the original series, The Promise trilogy details the adventures of Avatar Aang and his friends soon after the Hundred Year War and provides a link to the sequel The Legend of Korra.
The Promise trilogy includes:
A compilation of the three novels, Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Promise Library Edition HC, was released on February 20, 2013. This re-release version of the trilogy features page-by-page sidebar commentary by Gene Yang and the Gurihiru team. Notable trivia from The Promise Library Edition that pertains in particular to the production of each respective novel can be found at:
- The plot developments of The Promise graphic novel series foreshadow many of the developments in the Avatar World, revealed at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con, which takes place before the time of The Legend of Korra. Via her founding of a school for metalbenders in The Promise, Toph becomes a wandering metalbending teacher and the founder of the Metalbending Police Force of Republic City; because of Earth King Kuei and Fire Lord Zuko's struggle to settle the issue of the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom after the Hundred Year War's end, Republic City is eventually built; there are even hints at the tension which will eventually lead to the Equalist revolution against the bending population of the Avatar World in The Legend of Korra.
- The entirety of The Promise graphic novel series, excluding the beginning of the first novel (which takes place right after the series finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender), takes place one year after the defeat of Phoenix King Ozai, and in the span of one week.
- The cover of The Promise Library Edition was drawn by Gurihiru with the intent of "[expressing] the bond between Aang and Roku and the antagonism between Zuko and Ozai."
- A paperback omnibus edition of The Promise was released on June 30, 2020.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante; Konietzko, Bryan; Yang, Gene Luen (writer), Sasaki of Gurihiru (penciling, inking), Kawano of Gurihiru (colorist), Heisler, Michael; Comicraft (letterer). The Promise Library Edition (February 20, 2013), Dark Horse Comics.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender–The Promise Omnibus. Penguin Random House. Retrieved on July 7, 2020.