|"Quiet, Ghashiun. No one accused our people of anything. If what they say is true, we must give them hospitality."|
|— Sha-Mo to Ghashiun.|
Sha-Mo encountered Team Avatar at the Si Wong Rock, where he and the rest of his tribe saved them from the attacking buzzard wasps. He harshly inquired about what they were doing in their land with a sand-sailer stolen from the Hami tribe. His attitude softened a bit upon learning that Aang was the Avatar and that they had not stolen the sailer. When his son aggressively accused Team Avatar of believing the sandbenders to be thieves, Sha-Mo quickly demanded his son to be silent, as they had not been accused of anything. He gave Team Avatar the benefit of the doubt, even offering them hospitality under the condition that what they were saying was the truth.
When Sha-Mo learned that his son had been responsible for the theft of the Avatar's bison, he became angry with Ghashiun. Just like the other sandbenders, Sha-Mo stepped back in fear when an enraged Aang entered the Avatar State and destroyed the remaining sand-sailers, and upon Sokka's urging, he ran away to safety.
A hard, grizzled man of few words, Sha-Mo was proud of his sandbender heritage and thus quick to anger when faced with the preconceptions that outsiders often had about sandbenders, such as them being thieves and bandits that preyed on anyone traveling through the desert. Regardless, he was still courteous to outsiders, granting them the benefit of the doubt and willing to give them hospitality.
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Book Two: Earth (土)
- 211. "The Desert"
- The word  in Mandarin Chinese means "desert".
- The pronunciation of Sha-Mo is the same as chameau, the French word for "camel", a notable desert animal.
- Sha-Mo's relationship with his son was distant at best, and Ghashiun's lying and stealing only added to the schism between the two.
- Hedrick, Tim (writer) & MacMullan, Lauren (director). (July 14, 2006). "The Desert". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 2. Episode 11. Nickelodeon.
- From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Character: Sha-Mo.
- Shā Mò translation on Google Translate. Retrieved on August 27, 2020.
- From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Character: Gashiun.