- This article is about the gang of waterbenders in Republic City. For other gangs, see Bending triads (disambiguation).
When Mako and Korra approached Skoochy in Central City Station for information regarding Bolin's whereabouts, he mentioned that all the triads, including the Red Monsoons, the Triple Threats, and the Agni Kais, were recruiting new members for "something big".
Six months after the conclusion of the Anti-bending Revolution, three Red Monsoon Triad members were involved in a chase with police officer Mako. While trying get away on their truck, two waterbenders created a smoke screen behind their vehicle to obscure the firebender's vision. One of the criminals froze the street before the officer's motorcycle, causing it to briefly spiral out of control. Afterward, Mako was able propel himself into the air through the use of his firebending, where he delivered a powerful fire blast to the gangster's truck, causing it to crash into a fire hydrant and flip over. The defeated triad members were mocked by their pursuer before being taken into custody.
Several months later, the main hideout of the Red Monsoon Triad became the location of a stakeout led by Detective Mako.
- The triad is a reference to typical 1920s American mobsters.
- Two of the designs for the Red Monsoon gang members "may or may not have been inspired by a giant pro wrestler from the eighties and a James Bond henchman from the sixties".
- The Legend of Korra—The Art of the Animated Series, Book Two: Spirits, page 11.
- From older Welcome to Republic City online game, originally on Nick.com. Game now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Korra - Bending Triads. Playable here.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim, Ryu, Ki Hyun (directors). (April 21, 2012). "The Revelation". The Legend of Korra. Book One: Air. Episode 3. Nickelodeon.
- Hedrick, Tim (writer) & Heck, Colin (director). (September 13, 2013). "Rebel Spirit". The Legend of Korra. Book Two: Spirits. Episode 1. Nickelodeon.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Graham, Ian (director). (October 10, 2014). "Korra Alone". The Legend of Korra. Book Four: Balance. Episode 2. Nick.com.
- The Legend of Korra—The Art of the Animated Series, Book Two: Spirits, page 17.