Rami Said Malek (Arabic: رامي سعيد مالك) is an American actor and voice actor, best known for his role as Elliot Alderson on the television series Mr. Robot and his portrayal of Freddie Mercury in the 2018 film Bohemian Rhapsody. He provided the voice of Tahno in three episodes of The Legend of Korra, as well as in the video game based on the series.
The Legend of Korra credits
- Character information: Tahno
- 105. "The Spirit of Competition"
- 106. "And the Winner Is..."
- 107. "The Aftermath"
- The Legend of Korra (video game)
Selected other credits
- BoJack Horseman
- Gilmore Girls
- Mr. Robot
- Over There
- The Pacific
- The War at Home
- No Time to Die (2020)
- Dolittle (2020)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
- Papillon (2017)
- Buster's Mal Heart (2017)
- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014)
- Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014)
- Need for Speed (2014)
- Oldboy (2013)
- Short Term 12 (2013)
- Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012)
- The Master (2012)
- Battleship (2012)
- Larry Crowne (2011)
- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)
- Night at the Museum (2006)
Malek was born in the city of Torrance, a region of Los Angeles County, California, to Egyptian immigrant parents. He has an older sister and an identical twin brother named Sami, who was born four minutes after him. Malek was raised in his family's Coptic Orthodox faith and attended Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California; he was in the same class as actress Rachel Bilson, and Kirsten Dunst also attended the school. He received his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Evansville in Evansville, Indiana.
Malek began his acting career in 2004 with guest-starring roles on several notable television series, including Gilmore Girls, Over There, and Medium, as well as voicing additional characters for the video game Halo 2, though he was not credited for these roles. In 2005, he was cast as the prominent recurring role of Kenny, the gay teenage next-door-neighbor on the Fox comedy series The War at Home.
In 2006, Malek made his feature film debut as Pharaoh Ahkmenrah in the comedy Night at the Museum, and later reprised his role in the 2009 and 2014 sequels. In the spring of 2007, he appeared onstage as "Jamie" in the Vitality Productions theatrical presentation of Keith Bunin's The Credeaux Canvas at the Elephant Theatre in Los Angeles.
In 2010, Malek returned to television in a recurring role as the Egyptian-American suicide bomber Marcos Al-Zacar on the eighth season of the Fox series, 24. Later that same year, he received critical acclaim for his portrayal of Corporal Merriell "Snafu" Shelton on the Emmy Award-winning HBO World War II mini-series, The Pacific. During filming, Malek met executive producer Tom Hanks, who was impressed with his performance and later cast him as college student Steve Dibiasi in the feature film Larry Crowne, released in July 2011. He appeared as Benjamin in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, and also had minor roles in Battleship, the Oscar-nominated The Master, and Ain't Them Bodies Saints.
Malek's breakthrough came in 2015 when he was cast as Elliot Alderson in the television series Mr. Robot, his performance earning him critical acclaim and Critic's Choice and Primetime Emmy Awards. That same year, he also lent his voice and likeness to one of the main characters in the video game Until Dawn, providing full motion-capture for the character. In 2016, he appeared in Buster's Mal Heart, his first starring role, and in 2017 starred in Papillon and joined the cast of the comedy series BoJack Horseman.
In 2018, Malek portrayed Freddie Mercury in the biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, with the film becoming a major box office success. Malek's performance was lauded by critics, earning him a Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild Award, BAFTA Award, and Academy Award the following year. In 2020, he voiced a gorilla in Dolittle, starring Robert Downey Jr., and appeared as the main villain Safin in the James Bond film No Time to Die.
- 2019: Won a Academy Award for Bohemian Rhapsody (Best Actor)
- 2019: Won a BAFTA Award for Bohemian Rhapsody (Best Actor in a Leading Role)
- 2019: Won a Screen Actors Guild Award for Bohemian Rhapsody (Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture)
- 2019: Won a Golden Globe for Bohemian Rhapsody (Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama)
- 2016: Won a Primetime Emmy Award for Mr. Robot (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series)
- 2016: Won a Critics' Choice Television Award for Mr. Robot (Best Actor in a Drama Series)
- Benjamin, Malek's character in part two of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, is a vampire with the rare ability to physically manipulate the four elements (earth, wind, water, and fire), similar to the Avatar. In addition, Tahno was turned into a nonbender by Amon, while Benjamin was turned into a vampire by Amun.
- المصري رامي سعيد مالك ينضم لسلسة افلام مصاصي الدماء. Bokra.net. Retrieved on September 7, 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|