Mula was a cat deer that served as Avatar Wan's loyal animal companion. After Wan first freed him from a trap, saving his life from the humans who tried to eat him, Mula became close friends with Wan, accompanying him on many of his travels.
While wandering through the Spirit Wilds around 9,832 BG, Mula stepped in a trap set by a group of hunters from the fire lion turtle. By lamenting over its predicament, Mula attracted Wan's attention, who saw the creature as a source of food as well. However, after exhibiting a distraught look, Mula managed to change Wan's intentions and, opposed to killing him for food, Wan attempted to free the cat deer from the trap. The approaching huntsman and his fellow hunters insisted, however, that Wan not release Mula, as they intended the animal as their dinner. As Wan led the men away from Mula, the cat deer was released by the spirits and joined them at the oasis.
Mula cuddled to his rescuer, instantly forming a close bond that would last for years. After spending two years at the oasis, Mula and Wan set out together to travel the world and find more lion turtle cities. Serving as his loyal mount, Mula took Wan wherever he wanted to go, regardless of the danger that the two could encounter, and helped his friend in any way possible.
The Legend of Korra
Book Two: Spirits (神靈)
- Mula is similar to Yakul, the red elk from Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke, of whose films Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino are professed fans. In the film, which also deals with conflict between humans and forest spirits, Yakul similarly serves as a mount for the protagonist, the banished Prince Ashitaka.
- Mula means "beginning" or "first" in Indonesian, which fits with Mula being the animal companion of the first Avatar.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante (January 16, 2012). Draft of "Beginnings, Part 1". Wordpress. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- ↑ Yee, F. C. (author), DiMartino, Michael Dante (author). (July 21, 2020). Chapter Twenty-Seven, "The Meeting". The Shadow of Kyoshi. Amulet Books.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Heck, Colin (director). (October 18, 2013). "Beginnings, Part 1". The Legend of Korra. Book Two: Spirits. Episode 7. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Hedrick, Tim (writer) & Graham, Ian (director). (October 18, 2013). "Beginnings, Part 2". The Legend of Korra. Book Two: Spirits. Episode 8. Nickelodeon.