- This article is about the pro-bender. For other similar uses, see Ming (disambiguation).
|"Ming shakes off Mako's attack and returns the favor."|
|— Shiro Shinobi during the Pro-bending Tournament.|
Ming is the earthbending member of the four-time pro-bending champions, the White Falls Wolfbats. As a member of one of pro-bending's most successful teams, he was popular among Republic City's female citizens, and often had a crowd of fangirls following him.
Meeting Avatar Korra
During one of their frequent visits to Narook's Seaweed Noodlery, Ming and his companions noticed Bolin and Avatar Korra, members of the rival Fire Ferrets, while sitting in the section they usually occupied with their fangirls. After being provoked by Korra's glances, Tahno stood up and confronted the two benders. Ming followed his lead and showed the same contemptuous attitude, though he and his friends left the talking to Tahno. However, when Tahno was scared off by Naga and reeled backward with fright, Ming intervened and caught his captain. Worried about his teammate, Ming tried to help Tahno, but he was pushed away by the team captain, who attempted to regain whatever dignity he could still muster. Following their leader's signal, Ming and his companions left the restaurant.
The Pro-bending Championship
Ming and the Wolfbats' entrance into the championship match was overly extravagant and highlighted by fireworks and pyrotechnic displays. His team won a closely contested but controversially refereed match against the Fire Ferrets. In the first round, Ming and his friends immediately began to use illegal moves, and nearly won with an apparent knockout. However, Korra and Mako were able to hang on to the ring's edge before the Avatar launched Mako onto the ring again. In round two, the Wolfbats resorted entirely to various illegal moves which were completely ignored by the match's official. Ming would earthbend outside of his zone to gain the upper hand. However, they failed to capture the round when Korra defeated Tahno in a tiebreaker match. They continued their use of illegal moves in round three, using tactics such as combining elements, ice, and head-shots. Working together, Ming and Tahno eventually secured victory through a knockout, consisting of an illegal combination of broken earth disks and water to brutally throw Korra and the other Fire Ferrets out of the ring.
After all three Ferrets were knocked out of the ring, Ming and the Wolfbats celebrated their victory, but as they did so, they were caught off guard by an Equalist attack. As Amon entered the ring, the Wolfbats decided to fight him and his chi blockers. Ming launched several earth disks at the Equalists, and was the last Wolfbat fighting until he was immobilized by bolas. After their defeat, Amon "cleansed" the Wolfbats of their "impurity" and thus Ming lost his earthbending. Afterward, they were thrown in the water, and managed to swim to the exit. During his speech, Amon referenced the Wolfbats' cheating, calling Ming and his teammates "bullies who cheated their way to victory" and admonishing the crowd for celebrating it.
Sometime following the end of the Anti-bending Revolution, Ming's earthbending abilities were restored by Korra and he returned to competition with his teammates. Following the events of the Unalaq Crisis, Ming and his team participated in a charity pro-bending tournament to help repair damages done to Republic City. The Wolfbats made it to the finals, where they were defeated by their old rivals, the Fire Ferrets.
When Kuvira threatened to take Republic City by force, Ming ignored the voluntary evacuation request issued by President Raiko and instead retreated to Narook's Seaweed Noodlery with the Wolfbats' fangirls and Tahno. However, he did react to Prince Wu's plea to evacuate. Following the conclusion of the battle, Ming entertained the guests of Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding during the dinner party by playing a snare drum and hi-hat in a band.
The Legend of Korra
Book One: Air (气)
Book Two: Spirits (神靈)
- 214. "Light in the Dark" (vision, no lines)
Book Four: Balance (平衡)
- Ming is the seventh known person to lose his bending in the Avatar universe, and the fifth to do so in The Legend of Korra.
- Ming has gray eyes, unlike other earthbenders, who usually have green eyes.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim, Ryu, Ki Hyun (directors). (May 12, 2012). "And the Winner Is...". The Legend of Korra. Book One: Air. Episode 6. Nickelodeon.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim, Ryu, Ki Hyun (directors). (May 5, 2012). "The Spirit of Competition". The Legend of Korra. Book One: Air. Episode 5. Nickelodeon.
- Hedrick, Tim, Hamilton, Joshua (writers) & Shirahama, Eiro, Jin Ahn, Sung (directors). PlatinumGames. (October 21, 2014). The Legend of Korra. Activision.
- Hamilton, Joshua (writer) & Heck, Colin (director). (December 12, 2014). "Kuvira's Gambit". The Legend of Korra. Book Four: Balance. Episode 11. Nick.com.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Zwyer, Melchior (director). (December 19, 2014). "The Last Stand". The Legend of Korra. Book Four: Balance. Episode 13. Nick.com.