|"I know Hei Bai! We're close personal friends!"|
|— Aang to Katara.|
Hei Bai, also known as the Black and White Spirit, is a forest spirit that normally takes the form of a docile panda bear, protecting an Earth Kingdom forest for thousands of years. He can transform into a large four-armed monster in the Spirit World.
Hei Bai had been the protector of a forest just outside Senlin Village for thousands of years. After the destruction of the forest, he became enraged and unaware that it was due to the actions of the Fire Nation, targeting the nearby Senlin Village and blaming the occupants. As the winter solstice drew near, Hei Bai transformed into his monstrous form and terrorized the village by abducting one villager each day.
When Avatar Aang came to the village, he attempted to reason with Hei Bai, but was unsuccessful. He became violent toward Aang, prompting Sokka to help the latter by attacking the angered spirit with his boomerang. However, Hei Bai quickly overpowered and kidnapped Sokka and took him to the Spirit World. Later, in an attempt to calm the angered spirit, Aang showed Hei Bai the acorns that covered the floor of the burnt forest, reassuring the spirit that the forest would grow back. His anger faded and he returned to his normal form, taking the acorn in his mouth and left through the village's gate. From that gate sprouted bamboo stalks from which the missing villagers stumbled out.
After Aang met with Koh, Hei Bai returned to give him a ride back to the gateway out of the Spirit World. He shot a stream of light from his mouth toward Aang, sending him back to the physical world. In response to a rude comment from a baboon spirit upon Aang's departure, Hei Bei transformed into his monstrous form and blasted the disrespectful monkey, scaring him away, before changing back into a panda.
Hei Bai is very docile and friendly in his panda form. Somewhat vengeful and very protective of his forest, Hei Bai generally keeps to himself and doesn't bother others unless they provoke him first.
When angered, Hei Bei changes into a six-legged, black-and-white monster and destroys everything in his path.
Hei Bei is a powerful spirit with amazing strength, capable of decimating a structure with one swing of his arm. He can also move at great speeds, as shown when he was destroying one house and in a streak of light suddenly appeared in front of another building.
Hei Bei is able to use devasting sonic screams, the power ranging from a gentle breeze to a blast capable of leveling a building in seconds.
Hei Bai is able to spontaneously grow bamboo and carry individuals to and from the Spirit World.
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Book One: Water (水)
Escape from the Spirit World
- Hei Bai ( ) means "black white" in Chinese.
- Although Hei Bai is a panda, his wooden totem is modeled after a brown bear.
- His monster form is based on the design of the Mass Production Evangelions from the popular anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, of which the creators are fans.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hamilton, Joshua (writer) & Spaulding, Ethan (director). (October 5, 2007). "The Painted Lady". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 3. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Creature: Hei Bai.
- ↑ Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & MacMullan, Lauren (director). (April 8, 2005). "Winter Solstice, Part 1: The Spirit World". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 7. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & Filoni, Dave (director). (December 2, 2005). "The Siege of the North, Part 2". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 20. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Escape from the Spirit World: Avatar Kyoshi Online Comic Book.
- ↑ Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Art of the Animated Series, page 51.