Gurihiru (Japanese: グリヒル) is a Japan-based comic book artist duo made up of Chifuyu Sasaki, who does penciling and inking, and Naoko Kawano, who does coloring. Though its comic book endeavors are centered in the United States, Gurihiru also illustrates character designs for games and animations in Japan.
Among the team's major affiliates is Marvel Worldwide, Inc., having worked on popular American comic book franchises such as Thor, Captain America, and Wolverine. More recently, Gurihiru has come together with Nickelodeon and Dark Horse Comics to continue the story of Avatar: The Last Airbender in graphic novel format, a collaborative effort that has spawned five trilogies: The Promise, The Search, The Rift, Smoke and Shadow, and North and South. Before these, Gurihiru also colored Avatar comics for Nickelodeon Magazine and Nickelodeon Comics Club that have since been compiled in Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Lost Adventures, along with one Free Comic Book Day addition. On June 9, 2017, the duo announced the end of their work illustrating the Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novels, deciding to move on to other projects after six years of involvement in the franchise.
Avatar: The Last Airbender works
Nickelodeon Magazine and its special editions
- Sasaki and Kawano were born in Hokkaido, Japan, and currently reside in Saitama City.
- Both members of Gurihiru are afraid of moths.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Gurihiru. Gurihiru.com profile (Japanese/English). Retrieved on February 9, 2013.
- ↑ Gurihiru. Gurihiru-Blog. Blogspot. Retrieved on April 2, 2013.
- ↑ Gurihiru. Gurihiru.com Work Comics. Retrieved on February 9, 2013.
- ↑ Gurihiru (June 9, 2017). Gurihiru on Twitter. Retrieved on September 29, 2017.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante; Konietzko, Bryan; Yang, Gene Luen (writer), Sasaki of Gurihiru (penciling, inking), Kawano of Gurihiru (colorist), Heisler, Michael; Comicraft (letterer). The Search Library Edition (February 5, 2014), Dark Horse Comics.