|"They're called fire lilies. They only bloom a few weeks a year ..."|
|— Hama to Katara.|
The fire lily is a flower that grows in the meadows of the Fire Nation, such as the grassy fields near Hama's village. The vibrant, red blossoms of this flower bloom just a few weeks every year around the middle of summer, and are typically shredded once they dry out. Many annual Fire Lily Festivals are held throughout the Fire Nation during their blooming period.
In c. 297 BG, an admiral in the Fire Navy who was a friend of Hei-Ran sent a large quantity of fire lilies to the purported Avatar, Yun. Kyoshi spent the afternoon plucking the leaves and trimming the stems as Yun rested his head in her lap. The two nearly kissed, and afterwards, Yun made sure to call Kyoshi's attention whenever she was in the presence of fire lilies.
While training Katara in the art of waterbending, Hama stated that these flowers were one of her favorite things about living in the Fire Nation. However, she subsequently demonstrated ambient water channeling by extracting water from a bed of fire lilies, causing them to wilt.
- The flower carries a connotation similar to the panda lily in the Earth Kingdom.
- Fire lilies are a favorite subject of many poets and artists in the Fire Nation. They are a symbol of fiery purity and passion.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Hedrick, Tim (writer) & Dos Santos, Joaquim (director). (November 9, 2007). "The Puppetmaster". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 8. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Yee, F. C. (author), DiMartino, Michael Dante (author). (July 16, 2019). Chapter Nine, "Desperate Measures". The Rise of Kyoshi. Amulet Books.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Gear: Fire Lilies.