The Fire Islands are an archipelago located in the world's western hemisphere that makes up most of the Fire Nation. Its islands, many of whom possess active volcanoes, have diverse climates, ranging from temperate to subtropical to tropical. Historically home to many different peoples and states, the Fire Islands were unified under the first Fire Lord to become the Fire Nation, although the islands of the Bhanti and Sun Warriors remained de facto independent.
After the era of Raava, the Fire Islands became home to many warring peoples, most of whom were led by warlords. While at least one culture, the Sun Warriors, flourished during these times, many of the other groups suffered deeply under constant warfare. The unification wars of the Fire Islands resulted in the emergence of the Fire Nation.
Although the unified nation prospered due to the Fire Islands' natural wealth in minerals and fertile volcanic soil, the Fire Islands were also prone to crises. The local volcanoes always remained a mortal threat, while temporary changes in weather and fish swarm movements could quickly plunge entire islands into poverty and hunger. The worst known natural disasters occurred during the rule of Fire Lord Yosor and almost destroyed the Fire Nation. After the country experienced an industrial revolution and expanded its trade network, however, the Fire Nationals were increasingly able to overcome their islands' limitations and instead exploit them to their full potential. By the Hundred Year War, the Fire Islands had a prospering agriculture producing great surpluses as well as a growing industry powered by coal and oil. However, this development negatively impacted the Fire Islands' nature and spirits.
The islands' active volcanoes provide the Fire Nationals with an unlimited source of power. In addition, the islands' volcanic soil enabled a flourishing agricultural industry. Rice, ash banana, and melonyam are staples grown on the islands. While farmland is often located in lower altitudes, the mountains have traditionally hosted pastures and tea farms.
The Fire Islands are known for their wealth in metals which led the Fire Nationals to become renown for their great skills as metalworkers and blacksmiths. By the Hundred Year War, the Fire Nation used slave labor to extract huge amounts of coal and metal to support an extensive war industry. Despite the Fire Islands' natural wealth, however, they could not support the Fire Nation's rapid industrialization and the growing living standards of its people. The Hundred Year War was consequently partially motivated to bolster the Fire Islands' own resources by conquering and exploiting other regions of the world.
List of the Fire Islands
The Fire Islands archipelago comprises a great numbers of islands, ranging from massive ones like Capital Island to ones that are so small that they are often excluded on maps. Throughout history, some islands have also been largely destroyed by natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions.
Islands with known names
- Capital Island
- Crescent Island
- Dizin Island - a picturesque outer island of the Fire Nation, traditionally home to the National Historian of the Fire Nation
- Ember Island
- Hing Wa Island - famous for its ash bananas
- Ma'inka Island
- Shuhon Island
- Bhanti home island - located among the southern Fire Islands
- Island hosting Hama's village - located close to Capital Island
- Island hosting Ozai's airship base - remote, volcanic, and seemingly bare of civilian settlements
- Island hosting the Fire Nation bazaar and the Fire Nation school - located in the archipelago's far east
- Island hosting Yon Rha's village - large island located close to the southern Capital Island
- Island hosting Shu Jing - located in the east
- Island hosting Jang Hui and the Fire Nation Army factory - located in the east
- Island hosting the Boiling Rock - located north of Capital Island
- Island hosting the Sun Warriors' ancient city - located north of Capital Island
- Roku's island - located in the east, close to Ma'inka Island
- Sei'naka clan home island - located to the south of Capital Island, noted for being very small
- Spirits of the Islands are revered throughout the Fire Nation and regularly uttered by Fire Nationals as an expression.
- Avatar Kyoshi thought that the Fire Islands possessed a "rugged handsomeness".