|More from Minnichi||Romance/Angst/Action||PG-13||Very Positive|
Fanon Award for Outstanding Fanon Series
|Avatar: Better World (2009) - Avatar: Better World (2010) - Avatar: Energy Saga (2011) - Heiress of the Nile (2012) |
(2013) - (2015)
Fanon Award for Outstanding Romance Series
|(2011) - (2013) - (2015)|
|Silent Hero in Emerald|
The one who looked past the brim of his pointed hat
|Total word count||
September 16, 2011 (fanfiction.net) - ongoing
April 24, 2012 (Avatar Wiki) - ongoing
Ba Sing Se is kept balanced by the Dai Li. Under the strict eye of Long Feng, talk of war and even the slightest whisper of rebellion are silenced immediately by the elite earthbenders. Brainwashing, imprisonment, execution, and anything else is fair game to maintain order. Disruptors of the peace must be eliminated at once.
Yuhan, a highly talented converter (brainwasher) of rebels, has never found issue with the Dai Li's politics. Without much of a social life beneath Lake Laogai anyway, he's become one of the best controllers of balance and lives to preserve the clueless city. Everything changes when a childhood friendship reunites him with his past - and blooms into love. Suddenly, life can be more than brainwashing and terrorism.
It wouldn't have been so bad if the Dai Li hadn't deemed her a disruptor of peace.
About the Art
Illustrations in this fanon (including the main image) are possible because of the epically talented artists there are at deviantart.com and the remarkable generosity they've shown towards me, so I'll take a moment to glorify them first on this page. You'll also see some less attractive drawings that appear as captions from time to time, but those are just my own doodle attempts xP
Thanks and Tributes
- I have to give a shoutout to Bos for helping me with the canon logic in this story. Thanks guys! Lostris in particular saved this story from being tossed (I was in a canon-conflict crisis, forgive me :P) and
- was this story's first reader and remains the most dear fan to me. I am so thankful to him and regret being unable to finish SHiE during his time. Mage, I'll make sure to see this through to the end! It'll be a grand finale that you wouldn't have been able to say a single thing badly about ;) Now onto the story you loved...
Fanon Award for Best Main Character (Male)
|Nero (2009) - (2010) - (2011) - Yuhan (2012) - (2013) - (2015)|
NOTABLE NOTE: The "-han" in "Yuhan" is pronounced like Han Solo! Some readers have misinterpreted it as the A sound in "pan," so just a heads up.
Fanon Award for Best Supporting Character (Female)
|Lady Sa (2010) - (2011) - (2012) - Riya (2013) - (2015)|
An orphan born of the Lower Ring. She grew up in the company of her immigrant neighborhood and has made herself plenty of family in her tight-knit community, seemingly unfazed by a life of poverty. Having witnessed her birth parents fall to the plague and her foster parents disappear before she even turned 13, she respects the need to keep to oneself and does not pry. Shy and soft-spoken, Riya extends a kind, gentle hand to others in light of her lonely past. However, she fiercely believes in the authority of her city and won't hesitate to stand up to anything she considers an injustice. This makes her a pretty favorable citizen as far as Dai Li agents are concerned. For now.
Fanon Award for Best Supporting Character (Male)
|Sokka (2010) - Reeaki (2011) - Gaidan (2012) - Hiroshu (2013) - (2015)|
Yuhan's assigned patrol partner and annoying friend (though he knows that Yuhan just won't admit they're besties). He'll take any chances to avoid duties and do the absolute minimum, but he doesn't fall short of Long Feng's expectations. His fellow agents consider him a pretty chill 'Hitman,' more approachable than Yuhan but ominous in his own, disturbingly cheerful way. Hiroshu balances life in the Dai Li with the fun of everything else (particularly food) and seems to be enjoying himself. He doesn't like taking anything too seriously, but he's still a pretty dependable companion overall...only when it's needed, of course.
Fanon Award for Outstanding Writing in a Fanon Series
|Henhouse (2009) - - (2010) - (2011) - (2012) - (2013) - (2015)|
|Silent Hero in Emerald|
| ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ |
⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹
⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹
⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹
⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ ⇹ 28: A War at Ba Sing Se (TBA)
|Professional Illustrations - Minnichi's Drawings - All SHiE Art|
|FanFiction.net Profile - Liberal Ba Sing Se (oneshot) - (oneshot) -|
For those of you interested, here's the full list in HD resolution of all the professional artwork this story's been blessed with. My friends continually blow me away with their talents and crazy generosity, and I encourage you to check out the rest of their work on DeviantArt.com.
Want to Subscribe?
Feel free to add yourself if you're interested ^^ Or just let me know. Subscribers will receive chapter update messages on their walls and sneak peaks of future chapters. I may occasionally ask if it's a scene I should throw out, too (I typically trash a load of them before I decide what the finished chapter should be :P).
Want to help spread the glory of the Dai Li? (Ahem) I mean oh, are you a fan of this story by any chance? Just copy and paste
Consider the soundtracks below as HINTS *cough cough* that foreshadow the progression of the story.
For Chapters 1 through 14:
For Chapters 15 through 31:
So, what does this say about Yuhan's life? Read it and go figure o_o
Is Minnichi a sleep-deprived fanon snail who updates this story way too slowly? (Okay fine, I admit it.) But fear not, for Yuhan is alive elsewhere! Go visit him in Avatar Wiki's most active group fanon, Full image view)! Use it as a distraction from excruciating delays as needed... (
"Something tells me I'm not the only protagonist here..."
- Agent Yuhan Tsen
- I like the Dai Li...a little too much. I mean, come on!!! Secret ultimate earthbending ninja police who can make people believe whatever they want? Seriously! Ahem. My need for a story actually started when I saw a work on deviantart that reminded me that these guys are human beings with personalities, too.
- Why romance? Well - first, I just thought it was such a bizarre yet awesome element to combine with the Dai Li, who are the complete opposite of romance with their cold, emotioness ways. Anyone who's ensnared by The One in that organization will surely have lots of issues. But you should know that this story is truly about Yuhan, whose world does not suddenly revolve around love but whose world sort of changes perspectives and struggles when love comes along. SHiE will kill your soul if you're a mushy, fluffy reader who wants nothing to go wrong or traumatic with the relationship ;)
- I had never actually attempted writing romance or fanfiction of any kind before this story. It just came to me.
- My writing style was influenced particularly by Pureauthor and MasterFirebender84 of Fanfiction.net.
- Hiroshu Leung was created before Hiroshi Sato and the rest of LoK came along. Respect the "-u"! Mine is better. *Blows raspberry* (And my OC is also better-looking)
- The illustrators of SHiE (listed above) can often be found among other fanons here, so be sure to check it out!
- During Minnichi's entire first year on Avatar Wiki, SHiE updated a total of 4 times. Yeahhhh, I just have so much time on my hands, I know :P
Record Update Time
To date, the longest ever update in this story took place from:
August 2017 to April 2019 (Chapter 27)
I apologize in advance for these delays. To be a reader of this story is to suffer the consequences of 12+ months waiting for the next chapter :X I try my best not to disappoint, though! Thank you to all who have been willing to endure it. Note that chapters are rewritten constantly between updates, too, so read them again from time to time for refreshers - you might see something new!
For the collective works of the author, go here.