In 296 BG, several eel hounds were used by Jianzhu and two of his guardsmen to facilitate easy travel through the Taihua Mountains in pursuit of Avatar Kyoshi. When one of the animal got tired, injured, or died, they would simply mount another and continue their journey.
Shortly before the end of the Hundred Year War, Piandao provided Sokka, Suki, and Toph with one of these creatures to transport them to Ozai's airship base in order to stop the Fire Lord's airship fleet. The eel hound quickly crossed the Earth Kingdom and swam toward the base, allowing its riders to board the departing fleet at the last moment.
Suki later borrowed an eel hound to quickly travel from Yu Dao to Cranefish Town after Sokka had sent her a messenger hawk inviting her to come and help Team Avatar deal with the conflict between benders and nonbenders.
The eel hound is a large, amphibious creature that exhibits the ability to swim and run quickly. It is at least eight feet tall and roughly twenty-five to thirty feet long with dark green scales, except along its ventral side, from its jaw to its tail. The eel hound is green in color with a lighter shade on its underbelly, and a darker shade of green on top of its body.
The eel hound has a very wild nature, which can make it challenging to train. As such, very few people have attempted to do so, making the animals not commonly used as mounts.
Once it is properly trained, however, the eel hound's nature calms, and they can be used for swift transportation; Piandao credited them as being the fastest known animal over land and water.
The eel hound is a cross between a greyhound and an eel. With its long, powerful legs, deep chest, flexible spine, and slim build of the greyhound combined with an elongated neck and tail similar to an eel, it slightly resembles a gigantic greyhound and can run at similar speeds.
- After the Hundred Year War, a pro-bending team from Ember Island named themselves the Eel Hounds.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 19. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 20. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Yee, F. C. (author), DiMartino, Michael Dante (author). (July 16, 2019). Chapter Twenty-Two, "Conclusions". The Rise of Kyoshi. Amulet Books.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante; Konietzko, Bryan; Hicks, Faith Erin (writer), Wartman, Peter (artist), Hill, Ryan (colorist). Imbalance Part Two (May 14, 2019), Dark Horse Comics.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Creature: Eel hound.
- ↑ From older Welcome to Republic City online game, originally on Nick.com. Game now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Korra - Pro-bending. Playable here.