Buttercup Raiko is the wife of President Raiko and former First Lady of the United Republic of Nations. She began her tenure as first lady following her husband's inauguration in 171 AG, shortly after the dissolution of the United Republic Council.
Buttercup and her husband attended the finale of The Adventures of Nuktuk: Hero of the South as honored guests, having been invited by Varrick in hopes of convincing them to help support the South in the Water Tribe Civil War. Buttercup was flattered by Varrick's many compliments upon their arrival, but remained silent as her husband reaffirmed his position to remain diplomatic in internal Water Tribe conflict.
In the middle of the mover, Buttercup and her husband were nearly kidnapped by four waterbenders, but were promptly saved by Bolin, who subdued the attackers with his earthbending. The president and his wife were secured by several of Chief Lin Beifong's officers to ensure their safety, while Varrick was apprehended for masterminding the attempted abduction.
In 174 AG, Buttercup accompanied her husband to Air Temple Island, where they both entertained Prince Wu in conversation. When an Air Acolyte notified all those present in the dining room that a ship from the South had docked at the island, Buttercup accompanied everyone to greet Korra, though was surprised to learn that the Avatar was not there, leaving everyone to wonder where she might be.
Weeks later, after the conclusion of Kuvira's attack on Republic City, Buttercup attended the wedding of Varrick and Zhu Li, sitting between her husband and Ginger. She smiled as she watched the ceremony unfold, happy for the two despite Varrick's attempted kidnapping of her and her husband three years prior.
With Raiko's reelection bid failing in 174 AG, Buttercup's tenure as First Lady came to an end as well.
- Raiko (husband)
The Legend of Korra
Book Two: Spirits (神靈)
Book Four: Balance (平衡)
- 401. "After All These Years" (no lines)
- 408. "Remembrances" (flashback, no lines)
- 413. "The Last Stand" (no lines)
- Bryan Konietzko likened Buttercup Raiko to the legend of "Nancy Ann Cianci", the wife of Mayor "Buddy" Cianci of Providence, where he and Michael Dante DiMartino used to live as students.
- Michael Dante DiMartino later joked with an interviewer about Buttercup looking somewhat similar to Melania Trump.
- Michael Dante DiMartino wanted Buttercup to play a role in her husband's re-election campaign in Turf Wars, but could not organically weave her into the story.
|First Lady of the United Republic
171 AG - 174 AG
Iknik Blackstone Varrick
(as First Gentleman)