- This article is about the game. For the Super Deformed Short, see here.
Bending Battle is a free game hosted on Nick.com.
All actions are performed through the use of the left mouse click.
Aang has three types of attack in his arsenal that he can use to defeat Zuko. They are as follows:
- Strong attacks are the most powerful but also the most likely to be defended against. They are strong against red guards but weak against yellow guards. (Note that the labels are switched; the yellow attack is Quick and the green attack is Strong.)
- Quick attacks are the least likely to be defended against but also the least powerful. They are strong against green guards but weak against red guards. (Note that the labels are switched; the yellow attack is Quick and the green attack is Strong.)
- Ultra attacks have average power and hit probability. They are strong against yellow guards but weak against green guards.
There are several combination moves that Aang can perform and, if he successfully completes a sequence, he will be awarded with a point bonus and some special effects will occur. The combinations are:
- Mighty Attack deals double its normal damage if it hits Prince Zuko.
- Strength of the Wind inflicts guaranteed damage Prince Zuko.
To perform the Mighty Attack, three consecutive Ultras must be used, whereas Strength of Wind needs three consecutive Quicks (yellows).
Alternatively, Aang can choose to guard instead, shielding him from the firebenders' attacks. If Aang successfully guards against all the firebenders' attacks, he will receive an attack bonus on the next turn. However, if Aang is hit three times by an attack of the same category, he will receive damage; he will still receive the damage boost, however.
The Avatar is made to fight not just Zuko but also some firebenders under his command. It is the player's job to employ the above attacks against these dangerous forces. Two firebender lieutenants, like Aang and Zuko, retain a predetermined amount of health points and only lose when these points are depleted. Three other firebender guards are in the brawl as well, but they require only one hit to be defeated. The colors of the guards' hats determine which moves are the most and least likely to damage them. No soldiers will be present at the beginning of the fight; as it progresses, however, they will appear progressively as Zuko calls for reinforcements.
Team Avatar's members will join the fight to aid their friend in his efforts, offering their own distinct abilities:
- Momo can predict Prince Zuko's next attack.
- Appa can unsettle the opponents, restoring some of Aang's health. However, one's enemies can use that time to call in reinforcements.
- Sokka can throw his boomerang across the entire field of battle. Permitting that no-one guards from the attack, every soldier and Zuko will receive damage.
- Katara has waterbending powers that act in the same manner as Sokka's boomerang. This attack cannot be guarded; however, if an enemy is using a Strong attack, that enemy will take no damage and will instead attack Aang.
Katara's ability will periodically refresh after a cooldown period. Appa's and Sokka's abilities can be restored if Katara's move hits all enemies successfully (there need not be six enemies present), or if Aang hits all six enemies at once with a non-combo attack. Using any of Team Avatar members' attacks will not interrupt Aang's combo sequences.
Aang's capabilities in terms of strength change throughout the course of the game. This change is defined by the term "level up". The five levels are "Apprentice", "Warrior", "Master Warrior", "Skilled Bender", and "Bending Master". As the game continues, his rank will improve, and new combination attacks will be awarded.
At "Warrior", Aang gains access to the following combination attacks:
- Power attack deals double damage vs. all enemies.
- Fury of the wind hurts all enemies.
To perform the Power attack combo requires the sequence of Ultra-Quick-Ultra attacks, whereas the Fury of the wind combo requires the sequence of Strong-Ultra-Strong attacks.
At "Master Warrior", Aang gains access to the following combination attacks:
- Warrior chi inflicts stuns or double damage vs. all enemies.
- Warrior of the wind blinds or hurts all enemies.
To perform the Warrior chi combo requires the sequence of Ultra-Ultra-Quick-Quick attacks, whereas the Warrior of the wind combo requires the sequence of Strong-Quick-Strong-Ultra attacks.
The final levels: "Skilled Bender" and "Bending Master" are typically unlocked toward the end of the battle.
At "Skilled Bender", Aang gains access to the following combination attacks:
- Master chi inflicts stuns vs. all enemies.
- Master of the wind blinds all enemies.
To perform the Master chi combo requires the sequence of Ultra-Ultra-Strong-Quick attacks, whereas the Master of the wind combo requires the sequence of Strong-Quick-Quick-Strong attacks.At "Bending Master", Aang gains access to the following combination attacks:
- Avatar chi inflicts stuns and double damage vs. all enemies.
- Avatar of the wind blinds and hurts all enemies.
To perform the Avatar chi combo requires the sequence of Ultra-Strong-Ultra-Quick-Ultra attacks, whereas the Avatar of the wind combo requires the sequences of Strong-Quick-Quick-Ultra-Strong attacks.
- Hitting a guard: 100 points
- Defeating a lieutenant: 1,000 points
- Damage to Prince Zuko: 1,000 points
- Defeating Prince Zuko: 20,000 points
- Combo Attacks: 500 - 1,500 points (per attack)
The player receives bonus points each turn he or she avoids any damage. Up to 10,000 points can be rewarded for how much energy Aang has left at the end of a battle. Making the first move in a round adds 1,000 points to the total.