| This page documents an official Avatar Wiki policy.
It is a widely accepted standard that should normally be followed by all editors.
Some pages may be protected due to continued vandalism or continued insertion of incorrect information. They may also be protected to preserve the integrity of the wiki. The level of protection will increase as damage done to the page increases.
|Guide to protection lock icons|
|Fully protected (temporary)||Semi-protected|
|Fully protected (permanent)||Move protected|
Only administrators may edit fully protected pages. This level of protection may be used on a short basis (denoted by the gold lock) under the following circumstances:
- A large number of destructive edits have been made over a reasonably long period of time.
- An edit war has taken place.
In addition, this level of protection may be used on a permanent basis (denoted by the red lock) if the page is essential to the proper display of the wiki and damage would cause extraordinarily widespread disruption. Examples include our site logos.
Only registered users with the "autoconfirmed" right (automatically granted a few days after signing up) may edit semi-protected pages. This level of protection should be temporary unless there are exceptional circumstances. It may be used under the following circumstances:
- A large number of non-constructive edits have been made over a concerning period of time.
- For articles, the topic has been the subject of controversy and has sustained a level of rampant conflict mostly involving unregistered users.
Only administrators may rename move protected pages. This level of protection may be used on a temporary basis under the following circumstances:
- The page was recently the subject of sustained page move vandalism.
- The page is high-use and frequent page moves would be disruptive.