Appa's armor was a set of protective plates worn by Appa during the invasion of the Fire Nation as a shield from the various defenses that the Fire Nation domestic forces employed, including fireballs, spears, and other projectiles. Invented, drafted, and constructed by Sokka, the armor was durable and custom-made for a flying bison to use in combat. The armor had the drawback of being cumbersome, however, causing Appa to tire quickly.
In the summer of 100 AG, Toph committed several scams in Fire Fountain City to raise money to buy necessities for the team. However, these scams caused attention to be raised in the town, and Sokka discovered a wanted poster for her. In order to keep the poster "[their] little secret", Toph bribed him with a purse of the money she had earned. Sokka used this money to fund his idea of making armor for Appa.
Sokka began making the suit of armor during Team Avatar's stay at the Black Cliffs. He originally built the armor with an Air Nomad insignia engraved on the front of the headpiece, but it was not incorporated in the final design when Appa wore it during the invasion of the Fire Nation.
Appa's armor was made of metal and brown leather and contained multiple compartments, including a "pocket" to hold smoke bombs and other weapons. There were also two large water barrels capable of being attached to either side, enabling Katara or any other waterbender to bend large amounts of water while safely riding atop the sky bison.
- From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com. Encyclopedia now broken, archived at The Lost Lore of Avatar Aang - Creature: Armored Appa.
- Hamilton, Joshua (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (November 2, 2007). "The Runaway". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 7. Nickelodeon.
- O'Bryan, John (writer) & Spaulding, Ethan (director). (November 16, 2007). "Nightmares and Daydreams". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 9. Nickelodeon.
- DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (November 30, 2007). "The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 10. Nickelodeon.
- Ehasz, Elizabeth Welch, Hedrick, Tim (writers) & Spaulding, Ethan (director). (July 14, 2008). "The Western Air Temple". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 12. Nickelodeon.